Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Grand Design Quality
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Grand Design Quality

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Splashers3

Oakville, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 06/12/2008

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 01/30/19 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In response to Walaby's comment about CC controls....our 2019 Hathaway has individual controls....we also have the touch screen, but just about all functions are controlled from the individual switches....not the touch screen.

Our first CC, was a 2009 Silverback wide body - 102".

We own this second CC due to the EXCELLENT service we received from the factory on more than one occasion. They have served us well on our new rig - providing us some additional accessories free of charge.

We have seen some Solitude models - they were nice, but we knew the sure thing that we were getting from the factory support with Cedar Creek. WE love our current model floor plan.


2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL


Walaby

Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 11/10/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/30/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the great thing about having choices. We don't all have to settle for the same thing.

I've heard a lot of great things about Cedar Creek's, and I was seriously considering them. Granted, I saw first hand a relatively small sample size (one dealer), but the ones I saw I was underwhelmed and quite frankly disappointed and left scratching my head.

I have heard nothing but great service from the factory. Can't remember the Amish guy's name near the factory, but he gets super high praise on FRF. I know even the factory turns to him for help. He knows those things inside and out.

Mike


Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS


hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/29/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/30/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can say there sure is a lot of them on the roads and in campgrounds. So they must be doing something right or have a really good sales force


2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

WTP-GC

FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/30/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

If you thoroughly read the forum you'll see they're built like everything else out of Indiana.


Correct, lots of posts like this.

"I just purchased a 2019 Reflection 303 RLS. I thought I did my homework on this trailer. I studied all the web sites, I looked at these trailers in person, I read literature, and I did a search for "best 5th wheels". Everything pointed to a Reflection trailer. So, I bought one. I have had this trailer for a little over a 2 months now, and I am already having problems. The bathroom floor squeaks so bad it's hard to believe GD hasn't come up with a design change. The propane hose running into the bottom of the kitchen slide is run in such a fashion that it has been pinched (almost flat) between the kitchen slide mounting bolt and the frame of the trailer. And, I just noticed a problem with the linoleum in the kitchen where the kitchen slide has made contact with the floor. Again, I have only had this trailer 2 months and I am experiencing problems Oh, I've had the trailer out one time. I can't get an appointment with my dealer until November, and, they are 2 hours away. Very disappointing."

You can go to the Forest River forum, the Jayco forum, Heartland, Keystone, or any and get the same posts. Just take out Grand Design and insert whatever brand you wish. You can line 5 of the same floorplan up on the lot built on the same day and they they'll range from Perfect to Lemon. Or simply drink the Koolaid.

If you read the actual thread on the other forum that this was posted on, you'll find that the OP is quite happy with his GD purchase and the support he's received from the factory. Again, keeping it in context, the above post can't be truly considered without reading the followup.

* This post was edited 01/30/19 12:42pm by an administrator/moderator *


Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/30/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being happy with your purchase doesn't make it built any better than anyone elses. It seems like the tolerance limits keep getting pushed higher. What used to be a few problems and owner satisfaction was still high, now it seems you can have a multitude of issues and still be satisfied.
Does having the MFG handle the issues better make the RV better?

smlranger

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/30/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a GD Solitude this past November. It is our frist trailer in many years coming out of motorhomes.

The trailer is nicely decorated and it looks nice inside and out. However, I would not say it is an example of great quality. Doors and drawers are real wood but all the rest of the cabinets is vinyl wrapped wood and MDF. Plumbing fixtures are flimsy and feel cheap. I've already replaced the kitchen faucet with a Moen. If you go inside the basement storage area and remove the panel that exposes the underbelly, the wiring, plumbing, etc. looks like it was installed by a child or somoeone with no real skill or ability. No wire ties, things just run here and there with no attempt to organize it.

The water line to the ice maker in our Samsung fridge is run outside the coach under the galley slide where it then re-enters the floor under the fridge. About 2' of water line is completely exposed to the outside so you have to shut it off and drain it every time you have freezing temps.

The mirror glass in our two sliding closet doors is falling out. They were installed with flimsy metal tabs and hot melt glue. I have the glass held in now with Gorilla tape until the dealer can remove and repair them.

I suspect all mass produced towables are made this way and if GD is better than others, that doesn't say a lot about the others.


2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

WTP-GC

FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/30/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Being happy with your purchase doesn't make it built any better than anyone elses.

I agree with you, but the point is that the previous post was thrown out there like it was a very unhappy and disgruntled owner. When you see the thread in its entirety, it paints a different story.

Flintstones

Massachusetts

Senior Member

Joined: 07/18/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/30/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been very happy with the customer service at Grand Design, it started when a factory rep called me to discuss the differences between two Solitude models we were considering. After we ordered, he called again to update us on some mid year production changes. Never had that in the previous four fifth wheels we ordered.
We were very happy with our 2007 Cedar Creek, and very happy with our 2011 Cardinal, but our 2018 Grand Design Solitude is a cut above in terms of build quality, structural integrity, and overall bang for the buck.

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

Senior Member

Joined: 06/14/2017

View Profile



Posted: 01/30/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smlranger wrote:

We just bought a GD Solitude this past November. It is our frist trailer in many years coming out of motorhomes.

The trailer is nicely decorated and it looks nice inside and out. However, I would not say it is an example of great quality. Doors and drawers are real wood but all the rest of the cabinets is vinyl wrapped wood and MDF. Plumbing fixtures are flimsy and feel cheap. I've already replaced the kitchen faucet with a Moen. If you go inside the basement storage area and remove the panel that exposes the underbelly, the wiring, plumbing, etc. looks like it was installed by a child or somoeone with no real skill or ability. No wire ties, things just run here and there with no attempt to organize it.

The water line to the ice maker in our Samsung fridge is run outside the coach under the galley slide where it then re-enters the floor under the fridge. About 2' of water line is completely exposed to the outside so you have to shut it off and drain it every time you have freezing temps.

The mirror glass in our two sliding closet doors is falling out. They were installed with flimsy metal tabs and hot melt glue. I have the glass held in now with Gorilla tape until the dealer can remove and repair them.

I suspect all mass produced towables are made this way and if GD is better than others, that doesn't say a lot about the others.


You suspect correct but unfortunately on an RV board when it comes to a post with a question like the OP's, the vast majority of people that purchased the brand are afflicted with Branditis compounded by Whatipurchasedisacutabovepsychosis. The only thing worse is a thread regarding trucks.

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

Senior Member

Joined: 06/14/2017

View Profile



Posted: 01/30/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

All I can say there sure is a lot of them on the roads and in campgrounds. So they must be doing something right or have a really good sales force


It may appear so, but all I can say is explain how Thor and Forest River can hold 85% market share in towables and Grand Design is in the 15% remaining along with their Winnebago acquirers and everyone else?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Grand Design Quality
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.