Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to avoid fake cast iron antique cookware
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> How to avoid fake cast iron antique cookware

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Dennis58

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a great source for cast iron

http://www.castironcollector.com/

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I buy good OLD cast iron at garage sales. A friend just gave me 2 Griswold pans that belonged to his great-grandmother. His wife can't lift them due to wrist problems.
I have given high quality to all of my daughters and they use them frequently.

Do not use the cast pans with a rim on the bottom on glass to cookware. The rim will not allow proper heat transfer. NOne of my 100 plus year old pans has a rim on them. My oldest pans are almost 140 yrs old and belonged to MY great-grandmother.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

It's always seemed to me that the old cast iron they tried to make smooth with smaller voids in the iron. All the new stuff is rough. Watching it poured in a foundry It looked like metal with chunks and bits of a harder metal in a mix.
Watching cast iron poured in another foundry not for cookware it poured smoother.
I know the old Griswald skillets and corn bread stick pans do not stick as much.
She has a couple pieces of Wagner I don't know how they do. I bought the others for her and cleaned and seasoned them.

I've sanded a couple of Lodge Skillets and got them slick.
After I seasoned them 4-5 times they are mirror smooth, slick and shiny. I have a small skillet for cornbread, a 10" skillet for a double recipe of cornbread, and a medium skillet I use for frying eggs. (Why buy Teflon?)
I also have an old Griswald I inherited from my Grandmother.
My collection includes two Chicken Cooker skillets with lids, and several sizes of Dutch Ovens. I also have a couple of Lodge skillets that I haven't done anything to. These days after I retired, I don't seem to have the time or inclination to sand more.
None of my Cast Iron are show pieces, I use em all.
It took a couple of years to wean my wife off of modern light weight skillets, but I converted her.

OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 11:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

It's always seemed to me that the old cast iron they tried to make smooth with smaller voids in the iron. All the new stuff is rough. Watching it poured in a foundry It looked like metal with chunks and bits of a harder metal in a mix.
Watching cast iron poured in another foundry not for cookware it poured smoother.
I know the old Griswald skillets and corn bread stick pans do not stick as much.
She has a couple pieces of Wagner I don't know how they do. I bought the others for her and cleaned and seasoned them.

I've sanded a couple of Lodge Skillets and got them slick.
After I seasoned them 4-5 times they are mirror smooth, slick and shiny. I have a small skillet for cornbread, a 10" skillet for a double recipe of cornbread, and a medium skillet I use for frying eggs. (Why buy Teflon?)
I also have an old Griswald I inherited from my Grandmother.
My collection includes two Chicken Cooker skillets with lids, and several sizes of Dutch Ovens. I also have a couple of Lodge skillets that I haven't done anything to. These days after I retired, I don't seem to have the time or inclination to sand more.
None of my Cast Iron are show pieces, I use em all.
It took a couple of years to wean my wife off of modern light weight skillets, but I converted her.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> How to avoid fake cast iron antique cookware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.