Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Caulking Roof to gutter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Caulking Roof to gutter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

After a roof inspection (2000 Itasca Horizon) in Forest City several years ago the tech told me the roof needed re-caulking. They would do it for $400 or I could do it myself just for the price of the caulk. I chose the 'do it myself' route. I cleaned the roof and gutter with an alcohol based window cleaner and did the caulk job. Decided I did not want to ever go thru that again and bought a 4 inch wide roll of EBond tape. I split the tape and then cleaned again. Marked a straight line above the gutter edge on the roof. Let the factory edge of the tape follow that line and the width of the tape follow the roof line and lap onto the side of the gutter next to the body of the coach. This was the fiber tape and had to be painted with the UV resistant paint. We kept that coach until 2008 and the EBond was as strong as the day I put it on. Great stuff
That must have been more than a couple of years ago, because Forest City wants closer to $2,000 to do it now.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"That must have been more than a couple of years ago, because Forest City wants closer to $2,000 to do it now."

WOW! It was several years ago 2002 maybe? I remember thinking it was too much back then. I sure would choose to do it myself now!

cyrus799

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/21 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dicorsealant is what I use. Although it is a non-sag sealer, it is also effective for repairing roof leaks. It performed such an excellent job that I spent many tubes thoroughly waterproofing the roof. It can stick to practically any surface, including glass and plastic

dickiebob

Aurora, Colorado USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an 2001 Itasca Sunrise 30W with the fiberglass roof which was barely tucked under the metal side gutters. When inspecting it I thought it looked good....but on further exam when you pushed in on the fiberglass it was not sealed and pushed in.

I ordered two tubes of the Manus Bond (a polyurethane product recomended by Winnebago at the time) from Lichtsinn RV in Forest City....ended up only using one tube and part of another for both full sides after spending a day cleaning the area before using with a can of Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol. (have to use the Manus Bond in a non-enclosed area...can be hard on breathing). This product dries with a hard surface and really sticks.

I ended up using the remaining tube about four years later to seal the Carefree awning rail to the motorhome rail on my full slide on my current 2007 Monaco Monarch SFS30 SVE. Water was getting into the open design sponge rubber slide seal and rusting out the alligator style teeth that held the seal on around the slideout perimeter (metal rusting and seal failure happened twice in a three year period with the metal strip floating around on top of the slideout and the rubber sliding around with it). Second time I researched the Internet for an enclosed seal and found the ZML 6705 rubber seal with encapsulated metal from Clean Seal, Inc. It has been on with no failures since 2010. (installed for me by All Stars RV in Louviers, Colo.) I think I may have been one of the first persons to use this seal....had to order it from a second supplier...but Clean Seal did send me samples to look at before ordering.

Rather wordy response but I hope this is helpful and informative. Good luck and happy travels.

(

2007 Monaco Monarch SFS30 SVE
with 2006 Ford F53 V10
2001 Honda CRV Toad

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a point regarding the Manus Bond. Per the manufacturer, Manus Bond has a shelf life of just 9 months. While OK to use after that on some areas, I would only use fresh Manus Bond on the highly vulnerable roof edge seam of our Winnebago/Itasca RVs. Had mine fail last year while driving (almost exactly like Mike Brez's pics above); don't want to go through that again.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 TriZinger, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Caulking Roof to gutter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.