Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

pconroy328 wrote:

Computers are the only things, as far as I can tell, that can still perform their original functions flawlessly but become worthless overtime.

XP is still used by quite a few companies for specialized applications. Companies invested millions of $'s and labor to develop custom software for XP. When MS comes out with new OS's that are not fully backwards compatible it is painful for these companies to start all over again. Of course this doesn't affect the casual home or office user so few realize the significance of such problems.

I have a multitude on PC's running every OS including good old DOS! One runs native XP, another running XP under HyperV on Windows 10. Working on redeveloping software but it will take time.

Sure.
Yes.
You're right!
There's OS/2 out there!

But show me ONE corporation that says "Oh, we're happy to be on XP in 2020! We're thrilled."

No it's because they're stuck - they can't (or won't) recode.

XP (like any operating system) still has a number of open holes. Exploits never closed, never fixed.

If a company wants backwards compatibility, I'd pick UN*X over Winders in a heartbeat. Even some of the Motif apps I wrote in the early 90's still run on Linux. [emoticon]

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pconroy328 wrote:

Sure.
Yes.
You're right!
There's OS/2 out there!

But show me ONE corporation that says "Oh, we're happy to be on XP in 2020! We're thrilled."

No it's because they're stuck - they can't (or won't) recode.

XP (like any operating system) still has a number of open holes. Exploits never closed, never fixed.

If a company wants backwards compatibility, I'd pick UN*X over Winders in a heartbeat. Even some of the Motif apps I wrote in the early 90's still run on Linux. [emoticon]

Only reason not 'thrilled' is because of MS pretty much forcing Windows 10 whether you want it or not. Backwards compatibility has never been a strong part of MS products. They want their cash flow! There are tons of exploits in Windows 10 as well. Patches are released constantly just like prior OS's. Many of those are inherit to Windows 10, not XP. Hackers aren't targeting XP much I would assume!

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just looked to see if the OP was still reading this topic. He got what he wanted just after he posted originally early last July and hasn't commented since. There's a lot of good information here and some not so much but the topic seems to have a life of its own. Why beat a dead horse?

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.