Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Connecting to the internet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Connecting to the internet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
countryriders3

Bakersfield

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello folks I have a question hope you all can help. How can I get better internet while parked at a camp that offers free internet? I have trouble with the service dropping. I really don't want to spend $1000.00 trying to resolve this. Any suggestions.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most campgrounds that offer free WIFI / internet are totally under powered to handle the demand. Most people want to treat CG internet as if they were at their home and stream video, download updates, or other bandwidth intensive tasks. If you have a real need to have fast internet then be prepared to provide it yourself.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nearly all of the time, it's not a weak connection that's the problem. The problem is an overloaded service.

Try using the "free" wifi really early in the morning, I'll wager it works a lot better while your camping neighbors are still sleeping.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“How can I get better internet while parked at a camp that offers free internet?”

By understanding internet reception you’ll see that the band width is inadequate in many/most RV parks. They know it. False advertising. Signal strength is rarely an issue. Do some basic reading on the issue.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are posting just fine...so don’t use the “posting help.” Read the rules.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only solution I've ever found is to bring my own wifi hotspot. Off the free campground wifi, you'll get your best connection between 5 am and 8 am, when the kids wake up and start streaming video. There's no amount of money you can spend to make a 'net connection with too little bandwidth into a better connection. The campground could, but you can't.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Verizon hotspot on our phone plan. It shares data with our phones and only costs $10 per month. We could use one of our phones as a hotspot but chose this route.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the internet service available thru Verizon. They provide a `hockey puck' that works as a `hot spot' which allows one to connect thru it to the internet. It really works well albeit at a monthly cost tacked onto our Verizon bill.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have good cell connection where you usually are it is much easier to use a cell phone and a carrier data plan that will let your phone create the WiFi hotspot.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at an external wifi adapter such as: https://www.amazon.ca/Alfa-AWUSO36NH-Wir........=9001253&hvtargid=pla-492199297371&psc=1

[image]

This won't solve congestion issues but it may help with signal outages.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Connecting to the internet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS