Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Connecting to the internet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Connecting to the internet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We gave up on campground WIFI years ago...

We carry a Verizon secure MIFI unit which sets up a hotspot for 5 of our devices... Uses the internet through the Verizon folks...

I have my MIFI box sitting in one of those WILSON Cradles which has an outside antenna so this gives us coverage all around our camping site..
Works out great for us...

We only use the internet for checking in with the kids on social medial etc..., pay a few bills, and surf the internet a little bit...

Verizon for us never lets us down on connecting to the internet... When I am solo camping this is the best way for me to use it. I am still running my old GIBBS FLIP phone that doesn't have a lot of features...

ADDED NOTE - Here the past week or so I am having problems using the RV net... I keep getting temporary out of service NOTICE a lot... Then I reset and it comes back but now I have lost what I was doing and have to start all over again hehe... Took me three rounds to get this reply posted...

Roy Ken
[image]

TNGW1500SE

Oliver Springs TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 12:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

....We only use the internet for....., pay a few bills,

You do use a VPN,, right???

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 07/29/19 05:35am by Bill.Satellite *

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Most campgrounds that offer free WIFI / internet are totally under powered to handle the demand.

I will support that. Now some years ago the CG I'm in now put in Access Points all over creation but alas they don't have the bandwidth.. Save in one or two places where you connect direct. and even in the best spot bandwidth is suffering.

CG I'll be at net week went from Verizion 2-way Sat to a cable service. NOW they have the bandwidth but only one router/access point (They have a campground wide ap network but it is turned off) only one router/access point and that's on teh FLOOR of the family center.. (not much range)

I use a Umpiquiti Nano Station (About 100 bucks) atop a flag pole (Cost more than the Nano) This is a Wi-Fi "Modem" (My term for it) in that it connects to the park wi-fi but you plug into it with Cat-5 My House Router (A belkin I do NOT recommend belkins) thinks the Nano is a cable modem.. Works... Sometimes.. but you have to jump through hoops (Which I'm comfortable doing but not all are) to set 'er up.

Right now I"m steraming Pandora music via the Park Wi-Fi and using my own T-Mobile unlimited (I'm over the guaranteed high speed limit) for all else.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

countryriders3 wrote:

Hello folks I have a question hope you all can help. How can I get better internet while parked at a camp that offers free internet? I have trouble with the service dropping. I really don't want to spend $1000.00 trying to resolve this. Any suggestions.

I was going to recommend what I use, a WiFiRanger SkyPro, but found there's a much better upgrade coming. So don't.

Start here -- MIRC (Mobile Internet Resource Center).

If you like what you see, get a yearly subscription ($85/year membership).

My membership fee paid for itself this year when MIRC told members that AT&T was bringing back the Mobley (AT&T unlimited device) for a very limited time. MIRC members like me jumped on it and bought Mobleys for $30/month. Been a life saver.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While campgrond WiFi generally stinks and results will be better or worse depending upon who is connected, you can put together a great WiFi booster for about $100 following the directions from David Bott at the website https://outsideourbubble.com/ . Take a look.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

countryriders3 wrote:

Hello folks I have a question hope you all can help. How can I get better internet while parked at a camp that offers free internet? I have trouble with the service dropping. I really don't want to spend $1000.00 trying to resolve this. Any suggestions.

Free internet is junk at 99 percent of the RV parks, its just there to show they offer it to get customers in, if I owned a RV park there would be a good internet service similar to some up scale hotels have..

Best bet get your own wifi...

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Free internet is junk at 99 percent of the RV parks . . .

That's not what I'm finding.

Out of 32 campgrounds I've visited in the last 4 months, WiFi has been available in 2/3 of the parks and able to stream (> 5 Mbps) in 1/3 of them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Connecting to the internet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS