Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Gas TV for a year long trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas TV for a year long trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
tbecker82

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are considering doing a year long RV trip with our two kids, that would cover the entire continental US and a trip up to Alaska at some point. We've decided we want a 5th wheel and are leaning towards the Jayco 29.5FBDS with a 10.5k GVWR. I am looking at F350's either with the 6.2L or the 6.7 diesel.

I am aware of all the pros and cons of gas vs diesel, I used to own a 2000 F350 dually and currently have a 2017 Tundra. My main concerns are range with the gas engine, the length of time we will be on the road, and towing in the mountains.

I think the range issue could be solved by adding a transfer tank into the bed of the truck. I would love to hear any feedback from people who have gone this route. I know that gas fuel tanks cannot be gravity feed from an auxiliary tank, but I'm ok with pulling off and topping off quickly.

The length of time on the road and towing in the mountains issue I would love to hear some advice or feedback of people who have done what we are thinking about with a gas engine.

There are some other issues which are impacting my decision. After the year of travel is up, our plan is to return to our land and get building our house to start our homestead. The truck will then become our work truck around the farm in addition to our RV tow vehicle. I like the gas engine for this, I can see a lot more starting and stopping and short trips and diesels don't like that a lot.

The other issue pointing me towards the gas is that for me to get a 6.7L diesel, I will have the cost of deleting it. It's not a huge deal but it's an added 1.5k-2k expense on top of an already more expensive truck.

Also, I'm looking at used trucks somewhere between 2012-2016 and less that 75k miles.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I greatly appreciate any advice/criticisms anyone might have.

Tony

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a 91 gallon tank for diesel in the bed of my truck. Add that to the 36 gallons the truck came with and I can tow my 19,000 pound trailer over 800 miles before needing to refuel. The real benefit is I choose when to refuel and that is always without the trailer in tow.

Back in 2009 I was towing a 24ft boat with a Ford gas truck with the 7.5 liter gas engine. It really sucked towing the 6% grades going to the lake. Borrowed a friends Duramax and was able to tow at the speed limit with the cruise on. That was unheard of with my truck. I bought my own Duramax and haven't looked back.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've towed (race car) trailers gas and diesel for 25 years and all over the country. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a trip the miles and duration you're talking about without a diesel. The reasons are almost too numerous to list. Good luck whichever way you choose, sounds like one heck of an adventure.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you've already made up your mind and covered all your rational and excuses. Just do it now. I don't think anything anyone says will change your mind. Do-able, yes.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure why you think you have to delete the emissions on the Power Stroke, unless that's something you just want to do. The emissions on these trucks have been pretty good. I have 172k miles on mine and I've been very satisfied and add DEF every oil change.

If going gas I would give a hard look at the new Super Duty's coming out later this year with the 7.3 gas engine.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you're giving up a lot of durability, fuel economy, and towing power by not going with diesel, even for the weight you propose. If it must be gas, I also second the suggestion of the new 7.3L gas engine that is coming out.

tbecker82

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Sounds like you've already made up your mind and covered all your rational and excuses. Just do it now. I don't think anything anyone says will change your mind. Do-able, yes.

I haven't made up my mind, I was just describing how a currently see things. I asked the question to see if there was something that I hadn't considered. I would be perfectly happy either way.

I've never towed in the Rockies so have no experience to help with that decision. From what I've read, gas can do it, it's just slower, louder, and descents are more "fun". I've also never been on the road for a year straight so again, wasn't sure if there was a scenario or situation that would dictate the decision.

Because of the length of time on the road, a diesel seemed a good choice.

FishOnOne wrote:

Not sure why you think you have to delete the emissions on the Power Stroke, unless that's something you just want to do. The emissions on these trucks have been pretty good. I have 172k miles on mine and I've been very satisfied and add DEF every oil change.

If going gas I would give a hard look at the new Super Duty's coming out later this year with the 7.3 gas engine.

I'm glad that you haven't had any issues, I just want to eliminate the possibility of having any issues. I've heard nothing but positives about deleting and the truck won't be under warranty anyways. Whatever truck I go with I'll be hanging on for the next 10 years or so, I don't like to change vehicles constantly.

Thank you guys for your responses.

tbecker82

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I've got a 91 gallon tank for diesel in the bed of my truck. Add that to the 36 gallons the truck came with and I can tow my 19,000 pound trailer over 800 miles before needing to refuel. The real benefit is I choose when to refuel and that is always without the trailer in tow.

Back in 2009 I was towing a 24ft boat with a Ford gas truck with the 7.5 liter gas engine. It really sucked towing the 6% grades going to the lake. Borrowed a friends Duramax and was able to tow at the speed limit with the cruise on. That was unheard of with my truck. I bought my own Duramax and haven't looked back.

I am not as familiar with Duramax's as I am with Superduty's. I need to do some more research. I know 2007.5 is considered a sweet spot for them, or an easy delete if you go up to 2010.

* This post was edited 07/12/19 02:33pm by tbecker82 *

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never towed in the Rockies so have no experience to help with that decision. From what I've read, gas can do it, it's just slower, louder, and descents are more "fun"

A lot depends on how much time you plan to spend in the Rockies, and where.

If you're going to be in Colorado for an extended period of time, a gas engine will not be very happy at higher elevations and you can lose a lot of power. We have many passes out here that are in the 10000-12000 ft range. Other states in the Rockies, not so high, but still can be steep inclined/declines.

Grades will be another thing that a gas engine will not be happy with. There are plenty of grades in Colorado that are in the 6-12% and more range. Pulling upward at length on a 12% grade with a gas engine, you'll be "maybe" 20-25mph and you'll just watch your fuel gauge plunge. Traffic will line up behind you and you'll be looking for the slow vehicle pulloffs frequently. Going downhill is not fun...not fun at all...with a gas engine.

In the flats/lowlander/plains areas, you'll still get better fuel economy with a diesel. Having driven across the Great Plains and down to the Deep South with a gas engine and 6000lb trailer, I only managed maybe 9mpg, and had to stop every 200miles or so for fuel. With the diesel I now have, on a trip through the desert of northern Arizona, I was still able to get ~12mpg. Leaving for another trip across the Great Plains soon, and I'm anticipating getting 12+mpg with the diesel.

Personally, I would never go back to a gas engine for any sort of towing that might remotely be in the mountains or a sparsely populated area. And keep in mind that, with a gas engine and your projected trip to Alaska, fuel is going to be harder to find along the way, unless you've got an aux tank.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tbecker82 wrote:

My main concerns are range with the gas engine, the length of time we will be on the road, and towing in the mountains.
None of these should be a particular concern. Either truck will work fine.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas TV for a year long trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS