Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Current GM / Chevy Reliability
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current GM / Chevy Reliability

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Big “C” plus AISIN both true a Medium Duty.

Look on the Highways, vast majority of independently owned RV Haulers and HotShotters drive RAM Trucks.

But they now have hydraulic lifters and a CP4.2 pump so they can't be medium duty.

[image]

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Look on the Highways, vast majority of independently owned RV Haulers and HotShotters drive RAM Trucks.

But they now have hydraulic lifters and a CP4.2 pump so they can't be medium duty.

[image]

[image]

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

GeoBoy

Southeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

[image]

That’s really mature of YOU.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

11 years and how many miles? Nothing lasts forever.

What is "every conceivable way?" I suspect if you list out what has actually needed work, things aren't really as bad as they seem on the surface.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"That’s really mature of YOU."

If you haven't noticed they have an unusual friendship. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my 04.5 duramax is close to turning 200K with minimal issues. front wheel bearings, which was a known issue that latest bearings fixed. One injector under warranty, other than that pretty reliable.

2015.5 just turned 50K. yes, it had the (in)famous DEF heater failure that the dealer fixed quickly no questioned asked along with a free loaner car. And a onstar module that failed and was replaced under warranty again no issues getting it covered.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat. But IMHO GM, Ford, Dodge are such good rigs that it's more a matter of what YOU like best, not what I like best.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

2015.5 just turned 50K. yes, it had the (in)famous DEF heater failure that the dealer fixed quickly no questioned asked along with a free loaner car. And a onstar module that failed and was replaced under warranty again no issues getting it covered.

I'm not sure I don't know of anyone who hasn't had the DEF heater fail myself included in that one. I think I had less than 40k when mine went out. Still love Duramax though and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DougE wrote:

All trucks are really good these days. It's just a **** shoot as to whether or not you get one of the "problem children". That said, it's best to avoid the first model year of a particular driveline configuration as we're usually being the "beta" testers!

i agree with this

all 3 are good, unless you get a lemon. i would always avoid a first year on anything new

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"What is "every conceivable way?" I suspect if you list out what has actually needed work, things aren't really as bad as they seem on the surface."

FWIW, without digging out my folder of work, every conceivable way includes what I'd call "mechanical" "electrical" and "Electronics". I don't have all the right names of switches and parts that failed but a bit of a summary list:
- Mileage is circa 100,000 miles (issues have popped up since about 95k and continuing to current circa 110k)
- Brake (discs/drums/actuator) failed: developed holes where there weren't supposed to be any (and without any water immersion or salt use up to the time of failure)... what I'd label as a mechanical issue $1,000
- Injectors failed.. mechanical issue, $8000 (and the injector failure was only determined after a series of 3-4 fuel filter changes at about 1/2 - 2/3 of the expected mileage between changes and when the local lab didn't find anything out of the ordinary in 3-4 samples of diesel fuel supplied)
- O2 sensor failed .... "electronics" issue: $1,000 with labor and parts
- Fuel flow sensor (or similar nomenclature) failed: electronics, circa $750 labor and parts
- Mass Air flow sensor failed....electronics issue, circa $1,000 with labor and parts (probably a bit below $1000)
- Throttle position sensor (IIRC) failed...electronics issue, circa $1000
- Transmission position sensor (or similar nomenclature) failed...electronics issue, circa $1000
- Integrated Trailer Brake controller failed (added aftermarket one for $400)..."electrical"
- Trailer electrical connection failed (perhaps to be expected, but it's one more thing to be replaced): $100
- Transfer Case sending unit (or something like that, vehicle stuck in 4WD), electronic $1500

...and there's more.

The issue is not just the money (although circa $25k all told is significant), its that the electronics failures leave me on the side of the road or in limp mode. I haven't blown the head gaskets nor burned up cylinder heads...so I guess it hasn't failed in "every conceivable way"...but lots of issues that run the spectrum from iron to electronics, so I think a bit of inquiry is justified.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

double post

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current GM / Chevy Reliability
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS