Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Variable speed water pump
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Variable speed water pump

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am considering replacing the Shurflo water pump in our camper with something quieter and less chatter. The pulsating lights is sort of irritating as well. I have considered adding an accumulator tank but would prefer to simply swap out the pump if that would fix the issue.

Has anyone tried a variable speed pump? Specifically I am looking at a Remco pump but if there are other manufacturers I am interested in hearing about those as well.

Remco variable speed pump

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one..once. Louder than a jet. Don't know about this one. Pulsating lights may be a sign of a weak battery.

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced mine with a Shurflo variable speed pump, and it worked great for 13 years (until I sold the camper -- don't know about after that). It was not quieter on full speed, but usually ran quieter at slower speed. Even at low speed, I wouldn't call it quiet, though.

Cal

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shurflo has two models of constant flow pumps, one uses a bypass diaphram that keeps the motor at a constant speed but allows water to bypass inside the pump head when pressure is reached, and the other is an electronic speed regulated unit.

The electronics only go as low as 4.5 gpm, and are a bit overpowered for a truck camper, I have the first one, which is whisper quiet and doesn't pressure wash oneself while showering [emoticon] .

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't intend to be a forum faux pas but

If you have dimming lights then you have wiring issues, or battery problems.
If this is your reason then it might be cheaper to fix the needed-to-be fixed issues with the wiring instead.

Surflo pumps have a pressure screw on the end, the bullet shaped plastic end, right in the center where you can adjust the pressure. (I lower mine to help conserve water). A phillips head driver will easily adjust it. I am not sure this is your goal.
Sometime the noise is from the rigid pipes resonating through the camper. You can add in flexible hoses (like ones to a toilet or sink in a house) at both sides intake and output of pump which will greatly reduce the amplification of the motor noise. Homedepot has lots of these.
It might be that your wire is too thin to the pump, the 12v+ feed to the fuse box, a bad ground or something somewhere in the electrical system and that is why the lights dim. You really should not notice the lights dimming so much from a pump. Though, I have two batteries, so one battery, or a small battery, or a weak battery might let lights dim more.
Something to consider…

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had both a variable speed pump and an accumulator tank. Prefer the tank.

Larry

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what I hate is the pressure rise and fall causes temp changes in the shower.
When low the shower runs cold, when pressure goes up the shower runs hot, cold and hot and cold and hot.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ljr wrote:

I’ve had both a variable speed pump and an accumulator tank. Prefer the tank.

+1 on the accumulator tank.

When the pump runs, it runs until the accumulator tank is full. If I just need a splash of water, the pump doesn't turn on. Nor does it try to run at a slow speed when there is low demand.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

When the pump runs, it runs until the accumulator tank is full. If I just need a splash of water, the pump doesn't turn on. Nor does it try to run at a slow speed when there is low demand.
Sorta like running on batteries vs generator.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. It is definitely not a weak battery. The battery could run 100 of these pumps. Maybe the stock led lights are just sensitive.

The wiring to the pump is stock and I have had no problems with the 12v electronics in the camper. I think it's just that harsh switching on and off of the pump.

I wasn't aware that Shurflo had made a variable speed pumps. It looks like they are discontinued.

Anyways the lights are the least of the issue. The hammering noise, and yes I have put pool noodle on every bit of pex tubing I can find.

I have also been pointed to aqua pro pumps from a guy that likes his a a lot. It's a lot cheaper maybe a place to start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Variable speed water pump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS