Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cant hook up a whole house generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Cant hook up a whole house generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

That's pretty slick, with the exception of the cost. I paid that much for my generator.

yup that switch is expensive but consider the cost of installation. likely less than 100 bucks. v/s the cost of hiring an electrician to come out and install a transfer switch. (couple hours labor at the minimum) could end up very inexpensive.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the meantime I would suggest you evacuate. Dorian is coming for dinner tomorrow.
The issue with your house is bat poop crazy. A highly rated electrician would be my first call as they probably know the code better than the city inspectors. At least you could get an estimate on fixing what needs to be fixed as a baseline for a possible lawsuit if the builder is still in business.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Is this a HR Horton home?

No, this was a custom builder out of sunset beach, highly rated etc. When we initially contracted them they were a customer builder. What I did not know is that they changed their business model to a tract builder and started buying lots etc. Quality dropped off significantly. right before they started our house. Put in about 100 homes in 2 years and left town. Hit 'em and quit 'em.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

way2roll wrote:

That's pretty slick, with the exception of the cost. I paid that much for my generator.

yup that switch is expensive but consider the cost of installation. likely less than 100 bucks. v/s the cost of hiring an electrician to come out and install a transfer switch. (couple hours labor at the minimum) could end up very inexpensive.

It's also a little light duty.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THere is that.
There is a competitor's product. I do not know how heavy duty it is

Also ... if you are hooking in a Fixed "installed" whole house generator you may be able to do it at the meter base Wire to Gen, Wire back (the same wire as runs from the meter now) and done.

I do not know.

* This post was edited 09/04/19 06:19pm by an administrator/moderator *

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you certain one of the breakers on the main panel doesn't supply the sub panel? That would be the standard way of doing things. I find it hard to believe they'd run a wire across the house that's not protected by any overcurrent protection (or rather that doing so could possibly meet NEC requirements).

At any rate, generator or not, you really need to have a proper shutoff for all the power to the house. If memory serves (which it may not), the NEC specifies as the general case that all circuits must be shut off with no more than three levers/switches/controls that are located within some moderate distance from each other. That's partly to permit separate panels for different uses, possibly metered at different rates...as is or was sometimes done for electric heat, for example.

In the event of a fire or other emergency, it can be rather important to shut off all the power expeditiously.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The inspectors may be incompetent or on the take, but they are overseen by the state.

In NJ it is the Dept. of Community Affairs.

In NC it will be...

You need to do some calling with the states licensing bureau. They can steer you to the dept. that oversees the inspectors.

I can remember one township in particular where the inspector was on the take here in NJ and he went to prison for it.

State then had to come in and make right all the code violations that he passed.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have friends who are planning on buying in development down where you are.

Senior development, pool, club house golf course.
Hope they aren't in the development you are in if that is what the builder is building.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

I have friends who are planning on buying in development down where you are.

Senior development, pool, club house golf course.
Hope they aren't in the development you are in if that is what the builder is building.

There is no oversight in this state. It's a pretty corrupt and lax state.

We are not in a senior center. Those places are built by commercial builders.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Are you certain one of the breakers on the main panel doesn't supply the sub panel? That would be the standard way of doing things. I find it hard to believe they'd run a wire across the house that's not protected by any overcurrent protection (or rather that doing so could possibly meet NEC requirements).

At any rate, generator or not, you really need to have a proper shutoff for all the power to the house. If memory serves (which it may not), the NEC specifies as the general case that all circuits must be shut off with no more than three levers/switches/controls that are located within some moderate distance from each other. That's partly to permit separate panels for different uses, possibly metered at different rates...as is or was sometimes done for electric heat, for example.

In the event of a fire or other emergency, it can be rather important to shut off all the power expeditiously.

Yes I am certain. Good friend is an electrician and a building inspector. He looked at it and confirmed in order to shut off the power to the house you'd have to pull the meter. He can't speak to code though as he's not in NC. In MD this would fail.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Cant hook up a whole house generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.