Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Advice on truck and camper purchase
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Advice on truck and camper purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Spikeman

Kingman AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No I was ridiculing the want be's on regular dirt roads. The dilemma has resolved itself! I purchased the Ram 2500 with off road package at a big discount yesterday and it is huge. It has the lift and stance of a Power Wagon!
top of the cab 80"
top the bed 60"
wheel diameter 33"
22' feet long
ground clearance 12"
Much too tall for a hardside camper going to buy a Palomino HS 1500 popup camper 72" tall 450lbs lighter thanks for all of your input and advice[image]

lonegunman

Eastern Washington

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 02:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the advice you get here is bad. You do not need a dually to buy a truck camper and it is possible to drive down a dirt road with a non-pop up camper. Air bags are always a plus, they do get that right.

I've been hauling my Arctic Fox on my SRW truck since 2015, between 5 and 10K miles a year, including plenty of trips into the national forests for hunting seasons with zero issues. Zero issues on three, cross country, three week road trips. I 4-seasons camp, so a pop-up is not ideal. Occasionally I wish my camper wasn't so tall, but I never wish is was less comfortable.

If I had listened to the weight wonks here, I'd still be in the driveway with them. This is a web site ran by a company that sells **** for campers, if you bought everything recommended you would go broke and never see actual camping.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lonegunman wrote:

Most of the advice you get here is bad. You do not need a dually to buy a truck camper and it is possible to drive down a dirt road with a non-pop up camper. Air bags are always a plus, they do get that right.

I hope you are counting your own advice. [emoticon]. Any way, only 4 people mentioned a dually on this thread. [emoticon]

As far as air bags go, there isn’t consensus that anyone should have air bags. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spikeman wrote:

The dilemma has resolved itself! I purchased the Ram 2500 with off road package at a big discount yesterday and it is huge.

Congratulations!

Does this model have rear coil springs? Are you getting bigger tires to fill those wheel wells?

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spikeman wrote:

[image]

That's a handsome truck! The Rams have he best body lines.

Update as you add suspension mods.

Strange you went with the smallest pop up, but you will not know its on there when off-road so much.
Campers are always a compromise of something

FireGuard

Frazier Park

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

God looking truck.
Does the 19 have the 8 speed auto?
That seemed to be the only complaint with the Hemi with the 2-3 gear ratio on the 6 speed.

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ha! I hauled my 990 on an F350 SRW LB 4x4 PS offroad to a milling job. It was a bit harrowing at times but only because I didn't slow down enough. I didn't break anything and I decided not to do it a second time LOL but now I have a dually that handles the camper much better (it weighs in about 4850lbs ready to go) and might consider it again.

Hope you enjoy your setup for years to come! To me it's all about intended use and how often you intend to use. In my case we want more comfort and less offroad ability as we spend a LOT of time in the camper (in the last 6 or 7 weeks we were in it 4 of them at least).

Enjoy

2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember that dually's suck when it comes to off roading

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

My old setup after driving more than 30 minutes offroad with major ruts and off camber corners. I did shift the camper once and definitely scared myself once on an off camber turn (which prompted me to think dually) but I made it in with the mill in tow (out I had the customer pull the mill and that's actually when I scared myself).

I would not recommend the 990 as an 'off road' camper though! Just a logging road camper [emoticon]

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

Remember that dually's suck when it comes to off roading

Depends on who's driving [emoticon] and whom you ask [emoticon]

Mine isn't a true 'offroaders' rig mind you and I don't have plans to try a jeep trail but it did fine on our rough road to the cabin though not as easily as our thinner SRW.

My only real issue at this point is the stable loads I installed need to be cut down about 1/2" so the overloads don't enguage without the camper on

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Advice on truck and camper purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.