Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Breaker Panel Help Please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Breaker Panel Help Please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm, I will do that and I think I will do that to all the breakers just for peace of mind.

DrewE, that makes sense. I never thought that they might mean "General Purpose" circuits.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a 15A breaker labeled "Water heater". Turn it on.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

make sure you have water in the water heater tank.or you,ll burn out the element.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure everything is turned off in our camper that runs on AC power. Then turn on all AC breakers. Even though you are plugged into a 20 amp service, the power management in your camper breaker panel will manage that 20 amp service. Now, one by one, turn on each appliance, item and see if it works. Then turn it off and turn on the next one. Power management will direct power to the right breakers for the item you are turning on. If everything works, just make sure all the breakers stay on. When you plug into a 50 amp service the next time, everything should be working.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were the breakers tripped or turned off? The way to tell the difference is when you try to turn them back on you can't if they were tripped until you first move them to the off position. If you can turn them on without first moving them to the off position they were turned off manually. If would be very strange for all the breakers to trip at the same time.
If there is no power to only one side and the breakers are all on, the problem is likely either one leg of the service at the pedestal is out or your transfer switch on the RV is malfunctioning. You can check it out by using a multimeter to check the power at the pedestal and then check for power at the main breaker.
If it is the transfer switch, there might be a simple trick to restore your power. The transfer switch is basically an electromagnet that pulls a lug (two lugs on a 50 amp RV) to complete the circuit(s). Over the years I have restored power for guests on several occasions by showing them how to tap on the transfer switch with a rubber mallet. (one again proving the answer to "we have a problem" is "get a bigger hammer").

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

You have 50A service (double breaker in the middle). One of the hots goes to the left breakers and the other goes to the right. Can't imagine any reason other than human error that all the right breakers are off.

Fuse 13 says "waterheat". Your heater needs 12V when running on propane.

Usually, 50 amp supplies every other breaker. Not left and right side
Black hot would be 1-3-5-7-9
Red hot would be 2-4-6-8-10
Black and Red can interchange
In the OP's WFCO, with the 50 amp in the middle it is probably LEFT and RIGHT. Doug

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Don't know about "usually" but his is a WFCO as is mine and there is only one bus bar to the left and one to the right.

[image]

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always wondered why the DC in on my panel above has two lugs. This thread got me looking at the manual and it says that the other lugs are for battery connection. In my rig, the converter also has two lugs and one side goes to the panel and the other to the batteries. I don't suppose it makes any difference.

The converter is about half way between the panel and the batteries. I guess it means they could use lighter cable because the panel - converter - batteries run is shorter than a converter - panel - batteries run.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner, I agree that it would be strange for all the breakers to trip at the same time. I can't answer your question though other than to say that I know the electric element worked prior to my last camping trip. When we arrived at the campground and I hooked up power, it didn't. Initially, I assumed the element was bad and I used Propane over the weekend and didn't do any troubleshooting. When I got home, checking the breakers should have been the first thing I did but assuming it was the element, I emptied the water tank, removed the element, did an ohms test on it and it was fine. Then I removed the switch and did the same test. That tested ok as well. So with the element out and just bare connections, I tested voltage and had no power. That's when I checked the breakers and discovered they were off. I gave no thought whether they were just off or had tripped. When I turned on the water heater breaker, everything tested ok but it got me to wondering why they were off in the first place, what the labels said and why there were two AC breakers when I only have one AC unit, and why one breaker has no label at all. I assume there's a breaker for a washing machine wired up in case I add one at some point in the future.

DutchmenSport, I'm going to do what you suggest later today. I want to know what that unlabeled breaker is for at the very least and if the AC works with one breaker on and the other one off (like one is for the installed AC unit and the other is wired in case I add a second unit).

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

joebedford wrote:

You have 50A service (double breaker in the middle). One of the hots goes to the left breakers and the other goes to the right. Can't imagine any reason other than human error that all the right breakers are off.

Fuse 13 says "waterheat". Your heater needs 12V when running on propane.

Black hot would be 1-3-5-7-9
Red hot would be 2-4-6-8-10
Black and Red can interchange
In the OP's WFCO, with the 50 amp in the middle it is probably LEFT and RIGHT. Doug

Everyone I've seen in an rv is a split bus, one leg feeds one side and the other leg feeds the other side. Residential/commercial panels do alternate .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Breaker Panel Help Please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.