Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

IdaD wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

There is no evidence to indicate an F150 can't tow all day every day within its tow ratings without incurring any more adverse effects than a F350 would at the comparable duty point.

This is the comment that everybody is calling BS on. Throw a 10k lb trailer behind an F150 and the same behind and F350 and there's no question which truck will wear better over time.
Maybe it wasn't clear, "Comparable duty point" was intended to mean an F150 operating at 100% of its tow rating (or whatever parameter you want to compare) compared to a F350 operating at 100% of its tow rating ( or whatever rating you're comparing). 100% vs. 100%

Okay I did read that wrong and that does make your point more defensible. I still don't agree with it in a lot of cases, though. My 2500 has mostly the same components as a same year DRW 3500...which would make me think there's quite a bit of cushion built into the ratings on my truck. I also think heavy duty trucks are built to a higher standard in terms of expected duty cycle. Same deal when you go to a MDT...and so on as you move up the food chain.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always felt that most people put too much emphasis on towing ability and not enough on stopping ability. With any vehicle that has a GVWR 3 or more times its GCWR it is obvious that you are not going to be able to stop in a hurry without good trailer brakes. Good tow vehicle brakes are good but without good trailer brakes you will never be able to stop properly. I have been towing over 40 years and have never had a case where my life depended on forward progress but have had many cases where being able to stop was vital.

This is one area where class 6 and up vehicles have a clear advantage. Generally they are much heavier, have a lot of the trailer weight on the tow vehicle adding traction and have less horse power so that they can't be hotrodded so much. One the other hand, my experience with non-commercial trailer brakes has been disappointing and sometimes scary. On my heaviest trailer I gave up on electric drum brakes and bought a new one with electric over hydraulic disc brakes (at a considerable expense). They are much better but still suffer from a short delay and depend on a link to the tow vehicle that could fail without warning. I feel like we need to pause our examination of tow vehicles and take a good look trailer brake systems, especially considering how highway speeds have increased the past 30 years. For starters all new trailers with an axle rating over 2,000lbs should at least come with brake mounting plates so that brakes can easily be added. All trailers with an axle rating over 3,000lbs should come with brakes, not just de-rated to 2,990lbs so that technically they are exempt. And this especially includes rental tow dollys that are fully expected to go way over 3,000lbs when the payload is included.

Let's look at the big picture instead of beating one issue senseless on a regular basis.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

IdaD wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

There is no evidence to indicate an F150 can't tow all day every day within its tow ratings without incurring any more adverse effects than a F350 would at the comparable duty point.

This is the comment that everybody is calling BS on. Throw a 10k lb trailer behind an F150 and the same behind and F350 and there's no question which truck will wear better over time.
Maybe it wasn't clear, "Comparable duty point" was intended to mean an F150 operating at 100% of its tow rating (or whatever parameter you want to compare) compared to a F350 operating at 100% of its tow rating ( or whatever rating you're comparing). 100% vs. 100%

Okay I did read that wrong and that does make your point more defensible. I still don't agree with it in a lot of cases, though. My 2500 has mostly the same components as a same year DRW 3500...which would make me think there's quite a bit of cushion built into the ratings on my truck. I also think heavy duty trucks are built to a higher standard in terms of expected duty cycle. Same deal when you go to a MDT...and so on as you move up the food chain.
Yes I will concede that what you are saying about cushion etc. is probably a valid point. My statement was too overly broad.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I can fly from here to Omaha in a Cessna or a 737. Both are rated to haul me there. The Cessna will not do it just as good even though it will do it just fine."

Made the Omaha - Spokane trip in Cessna 180 back in the day. Enjoyable in many ways, but for repeat-ability, I preferred the same trip in the 737 / DeHavilland combo that the airline offered.

Similarly, while pulling my boat is within the calculated capacities of my new-ish Toyota...its just a better experience in my old-ish 2500HD; even though the capacities calculate out to be closer than I'd have thought.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS