Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Converted to Lithium-Ion be careful.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Converted to Lithium-Ion be careful.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

SidecarFlip wrote:

I'll stick with my conventional flooded cell and AGM batteries thank you. If the hybrid ones ever get in line price wise with conventional batteries, I may try them. Until then, no way.

Can you imagine using flooded lead acid batteries in your cell phone? lol.

I don't have a cell phone.....[emoticon]

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. I used to dive a lot and did underwater photography for many years. Back then, photographers were few and cameras expensive.

2. In order to get good underwater photographs, you need lots and lots of light. My flashes used over a pound of NiCad batteries. I would regularly have 3 large chargers plugged in at a time. It was only flashlights and cameras charging back then. Now, everyone has things to charge, especially overnight.

3. The most contested real estate on a live aboard dive boat is the outlet(s) and table where you charge things. Divers pack an extra power strip to be sure there are enough plug ins for their personal needs. A few outlets and lots of chained power strips.

4. I reserve judgement on the cause, but a battery fire is a real possibility, especially if someone had a home made or cheaply made Li battery pack for an underwater scooter, drone, video or flash system.

FYI I was aboard one of the three boats of this company in the 80's. It was hard enough to get out of the bunk area at mealtime, I cannot imagine efficient egress in an emergency. My thoughts and prayers for the victims and their family.

I can see new regs coming that require Li batteries brought onboard be charged in a fireproof container. There also may be a certification for batteries that have a "fireproof" battery management system. We may learn what Li system is most appropriate for your TC.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I have never understood the new RV internet standards,especially for batteries that don't really last any longer than the inexpensive ones..I just sold a 2010 travel trailer with the 7 year old group 27 batteries that came with it.They still held a charge well and only cost about $100 to replace if needed...

As for the Lithium batteries and fires,one word Samsung...

Not knocking those that choose to buy expensive batteries for there RV,I just don't see the benefit myself for my needs.

I think a lot is that people want to play or experiment with ideas. They are not necessarily better ideas they are just different. I read a lot about needing smart charging systems, special meters and batteries and so much is just people's opinions.

I remember my Dad would buy an old car battery from the wreckers, toss it in his VW van and it would run for years powering his lights, fan, etc. If he did something stupid like forgot a light was on and killed the battery he would head back to the wreckers and grab another. Cost $20.

Today we put $1000 in with controllers, batteries, etc and we still kill the battery from doing something stupid.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

Here is a short article on 5 common lithium battery types.
http://synergyfiles.com/2015/09/5-types-of-lithium-ion-batteries/

Thanks for the link. Good to know.

Cal

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the link, interesting point on reconditioning.

2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1Kw solar, 500 AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By design LiFePo4 has a relatively benign chemistry, via less energy density...

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just sent back a jump starter with a lithium iron phosphate battery. It was useless to me as I wanted a 12 volt power supply for inflating rafts at a launch site and it was designed only to jump start a dead battery. UPS required a sticker on the package that said in big red letters "Danger Contains Lithium Battery. Do Not Ship By Air". I guess they're not taking any chances.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Print one subjective article about lithium batteries and people run amok. My brother has lived in Ventura since the early 70's and know's many divers and fishermen that have been on the Conception over the years, none of them who knew that boat wouldn't sleep below deck, they called the berths below "coffin bunks", no way to get out in case of a fire.

Since they just got the remains of the boat on dry land maybe they might be able to find the cause or not,anything else is pure speculation!

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Converted to Lithium-Ion be careful.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS