Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Big Brother- Tag on your TC?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
MrPhelps

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"In the last few years traffic systems have been empowered with automated license-plate readers and various government entities have been putting cameras up everywhere, from automated and semi-automated "weigh stations" near the entrance to states down to the corner traffic light. "..

We just completed a trip to Eastern Canada and encountered expressways with toll roads (NY and Pennsylvania in particular) and upon exit there was a toll booth indicating they would read the plate and send a bill. There was not any other way to pay allowed, including using a credit card. I simply had to drive through.

Seems to me, if they want payment they can enable a way for you to pay on the spot, as I was willing to do... without accessing DMV or whatever new AI tools for something this benign.

However, I did not have my ALABAMA vehicle tag on my TC and it is well hidden under the camper overhang on the truck. My front plate honors the "Crimson Tide" so no way to tell from that. Waiting to see if they can figure me out. Its gonna be scary of they do.

..... "Automatic billing"... would be nice to automatically bill the government maintenance folks responsible for trees along the Blue Ridge and Skyline Parkways...Miles of low hanging branches, sometimes on both sides, dodging them until the one that finally cracked my HEKI skylight..

- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reduce labor costs and is becoming more common. Free north bound on the Golden Gate bridge. Pay south bound. No toll takers, don't stop 25 MPH through the toll booths. Pics taken, axles counted. You can pre pay, post pay, get a bill or have a Fasttrak device. With Fastrak my MH and toad are registered and fees deducted that day and there is a discount on the amount.

All other bay bridges have a few manned gates which I don't use. Needless to say Fastrak is unique to CA and doesn't work elsewhere.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I blew through Seattle toll gates multiple times with the AZ plated CRV only and never got a bill. I didn't call to ask why. GD now has the car with a WA plate.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty familiar with automated tolling systems and it's quite likely or almost certain you won't see a bill if no front plate and the back plate obscured under the camper overhang.

Consider it a small gift from that state, lol.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purposely hiding the plate is a big no-no but having a typical piece of cargo on an out of state vehicle isn't going to raise any flags unless they notice a pattern. Another nice thing is they don't have a way of immediately telling if they could read the tag or not, so a cop can't just sit there waiting on a non-paying. I wouldn't worry or lose any sleep over it.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 66,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrPhelps wrote:

Seems to me, if they want payment they can enable a way for you to pay on the spot, as I was willing to do... without accessing DMV or whatever new AI tools for something this benign.

They're going to automated readers to eliminate paying on the spot and causing traffic backups. You may not like the new technology but, it's here to stay.

Personally, I don't like waiting in long lines to pay a highway toll.
Apparently some of us do enjoy sitting in traffic. [emoticon]

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are from out of state so no big deal. They have more than one "can't read plate, give up" events per day.

It is a third party billing system. Pay if you want, if you never plan to go back, or are getting up in years then….

It can be a pain, this mailed bill, for those traveling. They mail the bill and expect payment from a traveler in two weeks. So, if you are traveling for several weeks (obvious if you are from the other side of the country) then you must pass through toll, ad then immediately return home (pass toll again) so you can receive the bill to pay it on time. $35 is not unusual for a late fee.

I have heard of people returned home and found multiple bills from the same state with over $70 in late fees already mailed. They eventually quit mailing them.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Apparently some of us do enjoy sitting in traffic. [emoticon]

Good point.
Been using transporters for well over 10 years and living in San Francisco area, I purchased Chicago transporter as visiting it every 2-3 years it was making sense to me.
Chicago has tool booth every few miles and leaving the city you had to stop several times paying 50 cents there and 75 cents there.
California stop giving discounts for transporter holders years ago, but you can use it for express lanes driving.
They also use transporters for measuring traffic, what you can see on google.
My camper has licence plate holder under the big bumper, while I carry generator up front.
If the cameras can't see them - fine with me.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having your plate under the camper overhang could be a violation if stopped, the law states the plate should be in 'plain view' of any LE officer at any time. Being the law abiding person I am, I affixed a license plate bracket to my camper and I take the plate from the truck step bumper and put it on the camper, in plain view.

I don't have a front plate either, Michigan don't require one and far as plate readers on toll roads, I have an Easy Pass which covers most toll roads.

Prior to the easy pass I did 'run' the Illinois tool road one time and never got a bill so I guess overhead readers aren't all that accurate.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

I affixed a license plate bracket to my camper and I take the plate from the truck step bumper and put it on the camper, in plain view.

I did that whenever I was planning to go out of state. Maybe that plan was exactly backward --.

Cal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS