Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Alaska RV trip loop routes/planning resources
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Alaska RV trip loop routes/planning resources

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, for fishing, I'd double-ditto everything that Grit Dog said. The past few years for me I've been trying to justify my boat purchase, so my fishing has been off a boat, but in years gone by, I've fished all the spots he mentioned and it can be a real fishing frenzy.

Similarly, a drift boat trip down the Kenai with a guide who knows what he / she is doing will be a fish slayer, unless the river is high due to rain or dirty due to fire run-off.

If you hit it at the right time (mid-August or later), LOTS of opportunities for river fishing in the Mat-Su: either from a riverboat (typically you plus 3 others) or as a walk-in or as a drop-off...

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Tee Jay

The Peninsula, Kenai & Olympic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boat trips:
Almost all river guided fishing trips are limited to 4 persons, and run in the range of $250 per seat for a roughly 6 hour trip. If this is of interest, book now
RV Rental:
You will get an appointment time to go over the operation and paperwork. Then you need to go buy TP, food, drink, snacks and such That process usually takes most of the day. And you pretty much need to be in Anchorage overnight to be there on time. Discuss with the agent when you book.
Fishing:
Been about 50 years, but on the Denali Hwy about 25 miles in from Cantwell is a very nice stream with a roadside and streamside camp area, good Grayling fishing. On the other end out of Paxson is the Tangle Lakes, with fishing from shore in lake or stream, and with camping area. I believe both ends of the Denali are paved to those points. The Chena River on the Chena Hot Springs Road also has camping and fishing. Valdez will have salmon fishing from shore, ask around, and from charter boats. The Kenai at Russian River will have Reds, or Sockeye if you prefer. Your issue is gear. Rods, waders, nets, lures and flies, cleaning equipment, storage. A guide furnishes all that as part of the package. The other issue is technique. Some people get it and some never do.

At Denali, take the tour bus at least one day, they go all the way to Wonder Lake and return. Most folks see at least some wildlife, some see a lot. Take a lunch and water. You can get off anywhere and get back on the next one, either direction.

There are a number of Alaskas. The tour boat cruise will show you the marine side. Most of Alaska is North of the Alaska Range or East of the Matanuska Glacier. That Alaska sort of starts at Talkeetna, or used to. Last time I was there it had sort of drifted toward genuine imitation plastic Alaska, but there were still some bits left. The Talkeetna River is sort of glacial, but Clear Creek is clear, and I believe there is a shuttle boat service that will run you up there.

One thing to consider....If you catch a fish, what do you do with it? Release it, eat it now, or ship it home. Know the answer before you start. The cost of shipping is not cheap.

Have a great time. It will be too short and you will consider returning.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Alaska RV trip loop routes/planning resources
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS