Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Experience towing w/ 2WD F250, 2500 or other 3/4 ton
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Experience towing w/ 2WD F250, 2500 or other 3/4 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got the rear wheels spinning on wet grass several times and 4WD got me out of that predicament. Plus living in CO makes it pretty much mandatory.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only did the RV thing for about 12 years:

- Had small (19' to large 33') travel trailers and large 39' - 16000 lbs 5th Wheel
- Used everything from a 2wd Yukon to a 2500 Suburban to a 2500 Silverado to an F350 on the travel trailers; F350 on the 5th wheel.

- Went mostly on the Gulf Coast with frequent trips to CO (1-2 times per year) and the Carolinas (2-3 times per year)

- Had both 2wd and 4wd (in different vehicles) towing the travel trailers. Had both a 2wd and 4wd F350 thanks to an acquisitive car thief.

- Much prefer going bigger for towing. Within reasonable limits, of course the 2500 will do it; more comfortable to use a 3500 vehicle.

- Got stuck 3 times with 2wd: all on wet grass involving uphill and a heavy (for the vehicle) trailer. Never got stuck (even though driving twice through the same spot years later) with 4wd.

- I live in Alaska...so will never own anything less than an AWD vehicle again but for the OP's use, I'd suggest (if it's an option) using the $$ on going 3500 vs. 2500 and not doing 4wd.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

linedriver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed with a 3/4 ton GMC 2wd in the past with no problems. The secret I found is to have a locked rear end and to run a good set of snow tires on the rear year round. They will usually keep you from getting stuck on wet grass and mud.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Oh gawd no!
Have you read the 4x2 thread below this? Rear locker is certain death! (Mostly for the people who would get stuck on a wet fart and those that think the traction control button is a locker switch, lol)

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2wd Duramax. I pull a lightweight 5th wheel toy hauler. I also pulled it with a Chevy 1500HD. The diesel is much quieter and gets much better mileage. I've gotten stuck in the Duramax twice, never in the gas truck. Yes, even wet grass. Doesn't take much of a tow with a 4wd buddy. For example I was stuck at an Indy Speedway campsite on wet grass. The Tow truck couldn't budge me. Some guy in a 20 years old F150 4WD got me right out, no problem.

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been towing 30+ years with 2WD, have yet to get stuck.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Been towing 30+ years with 2WD, have yet to get stuck.

You're not going to the right places!

There's and old saying..."There's 2 types of boaters. Those who have left the drain plug out and those that will...."
Same applies here. But I agree. We all drive around in 2wd the vast majority of the time. Some need 4wd, some want 4wd and some dont.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your 2WD truck may actually be superior to 4WD for many reasons considering your driving style. Can't say regarding your truck, but many 2WD trucks have independent front suspension and rack and pinion steering which deliver better tracking. You can probably slide into your seats instead of stepping and contorting. You can probably reach your hitch to latch/unlatch without a step stool. With the trailer disconnected, you'll find it easier to load and unload your bed with the lower lift height. All of these conveniences will make you appreciate your truck 100 percent of the time; a nice trade-off for the one tenth of one percent of the time you need 4WD. For that time, install chains.

Nighduckman

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! Great perspective.

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nighduckman wrote:

.....I understand we will likely get stuck once in a while, but, will have a tow strap and I understand we can usually count on a nice 4x4 owner to tow us out and/or we have GoodSam towing assistance. Again, we are not going to off road or seriously boondock. We won't be driving the rig in snow etc.

The 2WD will tow your camper perfectly fine and if you stay on 'improved' roads you will most likely not need 4WD at all.

I towed with a Chevy 2500HD 2WD for 10 years. That truck did everything I ever needed it to do, except for a few occasions. It came factory with an open differential and I eventually installed an Eaton LSD. The limited slip did make a difference but after having been stuck on wet grass, wet boat ramps, and snow I'd had enough. The last gotcha was towing my camper to a NASCAR race and the campground had gravel roads and grass sites. While parking the camper I spun the rear tires and was stuck dead to rites. Of course the front wheels were on solid gravel and could have pulled me up....IF I WOULD HAVE HAD 4X4 [emoticon] That was my final straw and within 2 weeks I had a my Ram 4WD in the driveway.

Your situation sounds a little different and you will most likely not need 4WD. In my case I had just enough situations of getting stuck that I was no longer willing to deal with it.

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS--Sold ">
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (20, 14, & 12)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Experience towing w/ 2WD F250, 2500 or other 3/4 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS