Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: Blackstone Griddle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Blackstone Griddle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 17 inch one for the RV. Really like it. Use it alot.

I use the 1lb bottles. I know it's more expensive, but they don't drive me crazy yet. Maybe in the future when I travel alot more (retirement).

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't own one but have only read good stuff about them. If you like that style, go for it. Like the other member posted, I have a cast iron griddle I use with my Weber Q.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife said she wanted one rather than a grill. Well..it get little use cooks like any skillet.
The wood pellet corn smoker/grills are a great thing but waiting to see if someone maks one that won't be burned and rusted out or up in two years.
CW has a couple of small ones, too small and too expensive and too lightly built.
If they would just send the extra 10-20.00 on good grade stainless and heavier stainless screws pins and hardware, and preiced right, in other words a durable goods like we use to be able to buy everyone would buy it.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you like to cook on a griddle it is a fantastik unit.
Way more efficient, holds the heat better than using Weber Q with griddle surface.
Can't beat it for breakfast food.
Keep in mind it's a griddle not a grill. With that in mind I enjoy the 17" Blackstone, but I'm not ready to get rid of my Weber Q.
I consider them 2 different devices. Yes both are used for cooking outside.
But the end results are different.
There are foods meant to be grilled and foods that are better on the griddle.
Choose your weapon, I enjoy using both.
The Blackstone is a great unit if you like to griddle, but I don't consider it a substitute for the grill (Weber Q )

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Wife said she wanted one rather than a grill. Well..it get little use cooks like any skillet. The wood pellet ...

For me, grill and griddle serve two entirely different purposes. I don't fry in my sauce pans and I don't usually heat soup in my skillets. I understand that some may seem them as interchangeable. I also realize that many would find it unthinkable to have both a grill and a griddle. Blackstone does have a grill/griddle combo, but I don't have any experience with it. Personally, I think I would rather have more portable units of each type for the RV.

So, why a griddle? I can't get the pancake batter and eggs to stay above the grill [emoticon]. Seriously though, I've found trying to use grill toppers to be cumbersome and hard to control the heat. For many griddle uses, you can achieve the same objective with an electric griddle or an electric skillet. I'v used an electric skillet for years in the RV because its light weight, heats evenly, is non stick, and is portable. However, for some things, like hibachi, there is no substitute for a steel flat top griddle. Plus it doesn't really look all that "cool"/manly to be using your electric skillet on the picnic table.

Why a grill? As Burger King used to say: it's flame kissed. I prefer burgers and steaks to be flame grilled.

I tend to think of pellet grills more as smokers than grills. I have owned gas smokers and I've owned a Traeger pellet grill. I finally gave my Traeger to my son and went back to a gas smoker because I finally found one had a thermostat. There were a lot of things I liked about the pellet grill, but one annoying thing. Again, I used it as a smoker which means long sessions. Anytime the power would flicker, the controller would lose its place and start over feeding the pellets which would cause it to fill the burner and smoke like crazy until, if left unchecked, the burner full of pellets flashed over with an enormous fireball.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 36" blackstone at home that we use at least 203 times per week, and a 84"sq Blue Rhino that we take camping and tailgating. Best grills I ever purchased!

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lap527 wrote:

We just bought a plain old lodge griddle and put it on our baby Q. Works for us!

I kind of went this rout by making a griddle to fit my Weber Q1000. There just isn't enough room in my little 20fq to have multiple types of cooking apparatus's. If we go to some type of camping event where we have a pile of persons I take my Camp Chef 2 burner and the big griddle that goes with it. But those Blackstone units are the ticket!

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali, stock....for now. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/300 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

tikasdad

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 36" version for home and use it all the time. We have the 17" griddle in the RV...we no longer pack a grill.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lap527 wrote:

We just bought a plain old lodge griddle and put it on our baby Q. Works for us!

This is the griddle I made for the BabyQ. Because of the circular burner it heats real even.
[image]

weedrancher

Marysville, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using a 17" Blackstone for a couple years. I take it in the TC sometimes but it is heavy and it takes up a lot of real estate. There's a lot of things that you can do on the griddle but it can't take the place of a grill.

2002 Dodge Cummins 4X4,2004 Lance 920,, Airlift suspension, Roadmaster anti-sway bar, TorkLift tie downs, Fastguns, StableLoads

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. This is as social as I get.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Blackstone Griddle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS