Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Storage Compartment Theft
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Storage Compartment Theft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

I would unload anything of value that you can't easily replace....good insurance coverage helps also.

Majority of thieving is done in storage and repair places.

Easy targets that are NOT readily exposed.

99 cent tool bin special ----large flat blade screw driver and even those beefed up compartment doors will yield.
Or even a utility knife and hammer......score an 'X' across door then whack it with the hammer.Door skin will collapse.
Takes about 30 seconds.

Valuables..leave them at home.

I never lock mine, even at the campground. Nothing of much value in the bins. Only a few cheap tools and some repair stuff. Nothing a thief could sell for any money. Would cost more to repair the door.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Heymon

Torrance

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces, you add an interesting idea. I think if the thief assumes that the door is a standard, weak door they may try forcing it wondering what is wrong when it doesn't open as easily as it should. So yes, external indication that there is something different could be useful. Thanks for that.

Ron3rd, unfortunately these guys are not after resale items. They take these items for personal use at the local "homeless" encampment.

stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

replace the lock with a simple twist latch(no lock) and leave the compartment empty of anything worth stealing
you cant stop the thieves, just prevent the damage from them breaking in

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevemorris wrote:

replace the lock with a simple twist latch(no lock) and leave the compartment empty of anything worth stealing
you cant stop the thieves, just prevent the damage from them breaking in
CAUTION!!!
On some units, it may be possible to access the interior thru the storage compartment.... This would mean that a bad guy could be inside waiting for you.

So I am in the camp of reasonable restriction to the compartments. In most cases all you need to do is make it harder than the next guys TT to break into.
It isn't possible to make a TT into Fort Knox, but neither is it with your S&B house... But most still lock their doors. Why?? Because it is a reasonable precaution.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"CAUTION!!!
On some units, it may be possible to access the interior thru the storage compartment.... This would mean that a bad guy could be inside waiting for you"

OMG!!

How long they have have to wait to acost someone who's camper is in a storage facility is more concerning.....full black tank! Yuck!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's some cool motion detection activated Halloween decorations out there. That would be fun to watch them open the compartment if you had a trail cam setup on video mode!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heymon wrote:

Ron3rd, unfortunately these guys are not after resale items. They take these items for personal use at the local "homeless" encampment.

Or fortunately, I'd say. Either way theft is theft, just the nice guys are less likely to trash the place too. Don't kid yourself, most have addiction problems or they wouldn't be homeless.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

"CAUTION!!!
On some units, it may be possible to access the interior thru the storage compartment.... This would mean that a bad guy could be inside waiting for you"

OMG!!

How long they have have to wait to acost someone who's camper is in a storage facility is more concerning.....full black tank! Yuck!
If the TT never left the storage lot.... Your concerns would be valid.

Some years back, in AZ we had an elderly couple killed in their camper at a campground near Ashurst lake.... The bad guys were inside waiting for them.

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A steel flat bar across the compartment door with 2 padlocks attached to hasps on either side will probably deter the wandering thief. He'll just choose another trailer for what he wants. It occurs to me that you could move the items you typically store in the compartments to the inside. Leaving a compartment bare is a good indicator to the crack head that you have removed any easily accessible items.

If a thief is determined there is no stopping them. FWIW, I contracted in a local petro facility. Of course, the refinery is fenced and the usual security is in place. Overnight, thieves came in and removed 1/4 mile of large copper electrical cable. It was powered while they removed it and fastened to a walkway leading down to the river. A lot of work to accomplish just for copper wire but compulsion to steal overrides most reasoning, I guess.

Good luck with the security upgrades. Keep it visible and remove valuables would be my suggestion.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave the compartments unlocked, and bring the bins back to my garage with me when putting it in storage. Pretty easy for me to do since everything is in large bins. I do lock the main house part though, and just hope for the best there. I like the idea of only using the deadbolt, had not thought of that.

I like the mousetrap idea too.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Storage Compartment Theft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS