Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Did I forget anything? ordering a new Hallmark pop up camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Did I forget anything? ordering a new Hallmark pop up camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to clarify - I am not full timing in the camper. Just lots of nights and trips here and there.

For some reasons I wont go into - a class B doesnt work for us. thanks tho.

and this is our 3rd RV across 8 years, so we now have a great idea of what we like, and how we will use it. [emoticon]

and the 720 watts solar (plus backup generator) will be great for the fridge. Thanks tho.

best regards [emoticon]

jimh425 wrote:

Man, you are spending a lot of money for what you are getting. Thought about a Class B with 4 wheel drive? I only bring it up because you are going to lose a ton of money on all new if you find out you are wrong. Also, a Class B will allow you to go to sleep on the road without getting out of the vehicle and raising the roof. I seriously can’t imagine fulltiming in a popup TC if you will never use the truck separately and will never tow.

Any way, I’d prefer a LP vs DC for the other fridge option. I’m not sure if 2 batteries will keep up with the fridge. All I’ve heard says DC isn’t very efficient for a fridge, but I’m sure others know more.

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Man, you are spending a lot of money for what you are getting. Thought about a Class B with 4 wheel drive? I only bring it up because you are going to lose a ton of money on all new if you find out you are wrong. Also, a Class B will allow you to go to sleep on the road without getting out of the vehicle and raising the roof. I seriously can’t imagine fulltiming in a popup TC if you will never use the truck separately and will never tow.

Any way, I’d prefer a LP vs DC for the other fridge option. I’m not sure if 2 batteries will keep up with the fridge. All I’ve heard says DC isn’t very efficient for a fridge, but I’m sure others know more.

Had the same fridge in a pop up for 5 years, excellent results. Far superior to LP in cooling especially in hot weather. We had less than half the solar proposed in this thread but had 4 6V AGM batteries which is very important.Dry camped most of the time, almost no Genny time.

Dave

2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the 2K inverter for? Roof AC?? I know it's the batt charger also.

Tiffin Zephyr(sold)
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LosAngeles wrote:

Thanks much GritDog - much appreciated. [emoticon]

First time truck, first time custom ordering a vehicle, first time pop up camper owner.... so lots of questions indeed.

Thanks to you and everyone here I am avoiding lots of rookie mistakes (I think)

[emoticon]

Much appreciated!!

It's going to be a sweet setup....He!!, I can't wait to see it after all this!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

I have a sprayed in X liner on my 2005 ford ,and theres not a rust spot in it, with just a matt or plastic liner its gonna rust.

No, not really since it's aluminium. No rust in my "naked" 07 bed either and it's all scratched and dented up.
Plus the OP won't be putting any real wear n tear on the bed. Camper parked in it full time. So no asthetic benefit and virtually no practical benefit. But it's only money...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crosscheck wrote:

Far superior to LP in cooling especially in hot weather.
Dave

I'll admit, I've never camped in really HOT weather. High 90's afternoon temps, dry or humid is the hottest we've camped.
Never noticed any lack of cooling ability with LP absorption, or AC mode. Beer was always frosty cold and ice cubes froze in the freezer for cocktails.
At what temp does absorption fridge become an issue?

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

crosscheck wrote:

Far superior to LP in cooling especially in hot weather.
Dave

I'll admit, I've never camped in really HOT weather. High 90's afternoon temps, dry or humid is the hottest we've camped.
Never noticed any lack of cooling ability with LP absorption, or AC mode. Beer was always frosty cold and ice cubes froze in the freezer for cocktails.
At what temp does absorption fridge become an issue?

When turned on, DC fridge has frost forming in the freezer in less than 30 minutes where as adsorbsion fridge takes forever to cool down. In hot weather(95F), temperatures are more consistent at least that is my experience.

Dave

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zb39 wrote:

Don,t want to speak for the OP but in our pop up and our current TT, we have a similar inverter. This is what we run off the inverter:
Coffee grinder
Coffee maker( if we have lots of solar)
Magic bullet
Blender
Micro
Toaster
Hair dryer
Curling iron
Laptop charging
DeWalt battery charger
Waffle iron
Camera battery charger
Sometimes, we run a power cord to neighbors if they need power to charge small items so they don,t need to run Genny.
We dry camp most of the time and do not run Genny

Dave

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would definitely get the cassette toilet. One of the best options I had.

Cal

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zb39 wrote:

Occasional laptop charging / very occasional "making quick lunch" HVAC / charging 20v drill used to raise and lower manual lift (no I dont want to spend $3,800 on the optional power roof)

etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Did I forget anything? ordering a new Hallmark pop up camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS