Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Did I forget anything? ordering a new Hallmark pop up camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Did I forget anything? ordering a new Hallmark pop up camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cewillis wrote:

I would definitely get the cassette toilet. One of the best options I had.

Thanks..... after much consideration we'll use a PortAPotty, and sometimes we'll have a shower-outhouse tent with us.... so private toilet "business" can easily be done OUTSIDE the 9.5' pop up trailer. :-)

and very easy to manage and dump almost anywhere that is appropriate to empty a port a potty.

and at about $175 - cheap and easy to replace in the unlikely event it breaks. [emoticon]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

after much consideration we'll use a PortAPotty

Wise decision in my opinion..I somehow ended up with two..Talk about handy,especially in the winter..We used it in our 30ft trailer in winter months when we blew out the water lines..Put it in the shower stall..Worked great..There are so many ways to use a Porta Potti and finding a place to dump is much easier than an attached holding tank..

These days they have them that are identical to a normal toilet.

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crosscheck wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

crosscheck wrote:

Far superior to LP in cooling especially in hot weather.
Dave
I'll admit, I've never camped in really HOT weather. High 90's afternoon temps, dry or humid is the hottest we've camped.
Never noticed any lack of cooling ability with LP absorption, or AC mode. Beer was always frosty cold and ice cubes froze in the freezer for cocktails.
At what temp does absorption fridge become an issue?
When turned on, DC fridge has frost forming in the freezer in less than 30 minutes where as adsorbsion fridge takes forever to cool down. In hot weather(95F), temperatures are more consistent at least that is my experience.

Dave
Most of the 5-8 cf LP units we've used can sustain fridge temps of 40 deg. in 115 degree heat (S. CA/AZ). This assumes an LP fridg in good working order, installed to OEM specs (proper ventilation), operating with boiler temps in the 170-190 C range (level fridge with good LP/AC/DC heating). This is also assumes the fridge door is opened infrequently and reasonably cool temps inside the RV (a/c operating).

We've also camped in 115 deg. temps with small 3-5 cf compressor units sitting outside in the shade. No doubt about it, they cool-down/recover much faster than an LP fridge. However, under these conditions the compressor has to run flat-out requiring a constant 2-3 amps of 120 vac. (or 20-30 amps of 12 vdc via an inverter).

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

crosscheck wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

crosscheck wrote:

Far superior to LP in cooling especially in hot weather.
Dave
I'll admit, I've never camped in really HOT weather. High 90's afternoon temps, dry or humid is the hottest we've camped.
Never noticed any lack of cooling ability with LP absorption, or AC mode. Beer was always frosty cold and ice cubes froze in the freezer for cocktails.
At what temp does absorption fridge become an issue?
When turned on, DC fridge has frost forming in the freezer in less than 30 minutes where as adsorbsion fridge takes forever to cool down. In hot weather(95F), temperatures are more consistent at least that is my experience.

Dave
Most of the 5-8 cf LP units we've used can sustain fridge temps of 40 deg. in 115 degree heat (S. CA/AZ). This assumes an LP fridg in good working order, installed to OEM specs (proper ventilation), operating with boiler temps in the 170-190 C range (level fridge with good LP/AC/DC heating). This is also assumes the fridge door is opened infrequently and reasonably cool temps inside the RV (a/c operating).

We've also camped in 115 deg. temps with small 3-5 cf compressor units sitting outside in the shade. No doubt about it, they cool-down/recover much faster than an LP fridge. However, under these conditions the compressor has to run flat-out requiring a constant 2-3 amps of 120 vac. (or 20-30 amps of 12 vdc via an inverter).

The NovaKool unit that the OP is looking at draws 4.4 A when cycling.That is 5 to 7 times less 12V power and double the size than your residential unit. Remember, these compressor fridges are much more efficient than the unit you were using and of course much more expensive. During 95F day, 65f night, the most electricity we used in a day was around 75AH.Your daily draw even using the lower number of 20A is around 500AH/day. Either your numbers are off or that fridge should be used for a boat anchor.

Dave

2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crosscheck wrote:

The NovaKool unit that the OP is looking at draws 4.4 A when cycling.That is 5 to 7 times less 12V power and double the size than your residential unit. Remember, these compressor fridges are much more efficient than the unit you were using and of course much more expensive. During 95F day, 65f night, the most electricity we used in a day was around 75AH.Your daily draw even using the lower number of 20A is around 500AH/day. Either your numbers are off or that fridge should be used for a boat anchor.

Dave
These were run-of-the-mill compressor fridges you can purchase at any big box store. Certainly didn't profess otherwise. No doubt there are more efficient options available---especially if you're willing to pay for it. That's a given for just about any appliance. Was that your point?

* This post was edited 10/01/19 04:09pm by otrfun *

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

but the paint will scratch off that bed.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“metal work on the roof to 100% cover wires that connect to the roof solar panels. (to protect from UV)” Save some weight and coat the wires with Heng’s etc.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

but the paint will scratch off that bed.

Under the bed mat?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot the upper walls.

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

….and at about $175 - cheap and easy to replace in the unlikely event it breaks...

….you may want to consider a Thetford "Curve" electric flush porta-potti. I use lithium batteries to operate the flush. An 8-pack of AA's.

We have had ours for 3.5 years now (whoops, on edit: 4.5 years), in our 15 year old Outfitter Caribou 8. It is installed inside our large-ish (for a pop-up) walk-in clothing closet. This is where a wet bath would have been installed if we would have gone with that option.

Big capacity; 4 gallons fresh water, and just short of 6 gallons in the black tank....

I'm seeing prices in the ~~$150 USD range online presently.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Did I forget anything? ordering a new Hallmark pop up camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS