Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV trip 14 nights itinerary help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> RV trip 14 nights itinerary help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

A final couple of thoughts:

- Hatcher Pass goes from the "Palmer Side" to the "Willow side": Independence Mine State Park (or State Historical Site or something like that) is road accessible from the Palmer Side ONLY if traveling in an RV. The road runs Palmer - Willow but from the Independence Mine area to Willow, it is at best a car road and works better in a 4WD SUV or pickup. If one is visiting Independence Mine with only an RV as a vehicle, there will be some backtracking to go to Wasilla / Palmer, up to Independence Mine, then back to Wasilla / Palmer before returning to Willow

- Full disclosure: I've never been on the ATV tours around Knik. I fly over it all the time and in the summer regularly land the ol PA-12 on riverbars on the Knik River. That being said, an ATV tour of the Knik (based on reports from friends, seeing the trails from the air, and seeing the groups on the trails) seems to be about the best mix of accessibility, location, and activities available. Scenic country, even when raining.

- If eating in the Noisy Goose: a) right now road work has the roads torn up. If not finished by next year, be very alert for the "Noisy Goose Access here" signs. They're not at the intuitive spots; b) when in the Noisy Goose (unless it changes in 2019 / 2020, I haven't been there since 2018), take the time to look at the various photos scattered about...just a touch of the "Alaska that was" outside of the usual tourist channels.

Soory for the bad intel on Hatchers, I didn't know RVs weren't supposed to go all the way through. Neither did a bunch of other people either.
Knik Glacier on a ATV is a great experience. We went up to the glacier on our own machines and it was quite the adventure. Definitely a higher $ per experience decision though.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JJPCheers

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we will be in a truck and travel trailer we will leave the TT at the campground and take the truck out daily to activities. Since we are in a truck can we get to Independence Mine from Willow on our most updated itinerary that I posted? (The latest one is heading South first then North.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJPCheers wrote:

Since we will be in a truck and travel trailer we will leave the TT at the campground and take the truck out daily to activities. Since we are in a truck can we get to Independence Mine from Willow on our most updated itinerary that I posted? (The latest one is heading South first then North.

Just as a caveat, I haven't driven the Hatcher Pass road since 2018....pretty sure they haven't really improved it though.

That road is very doable in a truck>...ideally 4WD, but not needed. Hopefully, the truck is not a low-clearance cruiser: that will cause dings on fenders, rails, etc. My most recent trips over the road have been in a 4WD 2500 Chevy Silverado (2009 version) and a 4WD 2013 Toyota Sequoia. I didn't like driving on the Sequoia's soft suspension, but that was just my bias...it handled it fine. I did use 4WD on both vehicles, but that was more to avoid spraying rocks (both vehicles were unloaded / light) than for any real need.

The Willow-Independence is the rough side....a rough gravel road. FWIW, Independence - Palmer (the dirt part) while still a gravel road is more like a county road or FM / RM road in the L48.

Also FWIW, the first time I drove the road (in it's current incarnation) there were a few spots where I pulled off to the side to walk around the next curve or over the crest of the hill just to see what the road did. There were also a few spots where I wouldn't pull off due to the narrow width at those points.

It will be dusty in any case; car will get muddy if it's raining, but the road won't turn into a "mud" road.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

"Cool scenery at the bay there"
"nothing to do in Whittier except have lunch at one of the couple local places"
"Tunnel is cool"

Those 3 items are all good enough reasons for me.
Each to his own.[emoticon]

Fo sho. JMO, on a 2 week tour, it wouldn't make the cut for me.

Whittier's cool...but a thriving business is done at a couple of local shops selling "POW: Prisoner Of Whittier" t-shirts and hoodies. Not entirely in jest and mostly sells to the year-round local types.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I might be crazy but I LOVED Whittier! I have a "thing" for small, seaside towns with harbors, especially working harbors. Can't explain it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

OK, I might be crazy but I LOVED Whittier! I have a "thing" for small, seaside towns with harbors, especially working harbors. Can't explain it.

Me neither. It just works for me.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> RV trip 14 nights itinerary help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS