Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Slides- Important stuff AND what they don't tell you.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Slides- Important stuff AND what they don't tell you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will answer some of the questions.

What happens if you put the slide out just part way..
Sunsine.. Nothing bad. oh there is some air leakage but nothing bad

Rain. You may get rain inside the RV as the slide is not sealed when partially in/out.

What happes when the slide fails?

Depends on the slide. On mine I have two different types. So far the Accu-Slide has basically not had a serious failure (one time I had to hook my drill/screwdriver to it to get it started in) the main slide (power gear)

Well I buy 1/4" Grade 8 bolts by the dozen along with washers and nuts.
But if I have a total failure I'm big enough to disengage the gears and push the blasted thing in/out.. Don't like doing it. but I can. 2 people it's easier.

Be sure to move it only an inch or two at a time till you have it in like 6 inches then go for it.. Out is easier.

Hydraulic.. i've hand pumped one in .

Tons of fun.

After 14.5 years I need to replace the floor in my main slide as it dropped down and locked the slide in the out position (I figured it out. lifted it with a jack and plank and got it in) new floor is just outside my door awaiting techinican. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is amazing how much space a slide provides. If you really need space inside then you will need a slide.

I had one for a few years about 10 years ago. I did have trouble with mine. Luckily I could hand crank mine in or out so I was never stuck anywhere. I would seriously advise you to look into a slide out awning to protect the top of you slide. I was out in the late fall, fishing in Montana when it snowed a couple of inches one night. The next day the sun came out and things warmed a bit. The second night it snowed another inch followed by another nice day and warmer temperatures. When it came time to head home, I had a nice block of ice on top of the slide. It wouldn't move in and I couldn't get on to of the trailer. It was a real challenge but we managed to McGiver a solution. I also had water leak into the trailer when bringing the slide in during rain storms. It was a challenge.

If I were buying a trailer with a slide these days, I would ask about these kinds of issues. I am sure they are better than the one I had.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my slide. It gives a sense of a lot more space than my TT actually has.

Agree with the others saying you need to learn how your slide system works, how to operate it manually (or with a drill), and do a basic temporary repair in case its ever needed. Theres some great utube videos on all of those things.

When we went shopping last, a Requirement was that we could use the bathroom and the kitchen with the slide(s) fully In. That's important for us to be able to grab some throne time or eat lunch while in transit to our next destination. TTs without that floorplan aren't an option for us. But remember to get whats important to You.

oh, should also say that ive been camping many years and have never had a stuck slide problem.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My tip:
Absolutely every time you retract the slides, sweep off their roofs so debrie won't damage the rubber seals and bugs and gunk will not pass under the seals and get inside the camper.

If it has been raining, take the extra few minutes and dry off their roofs right before retracting. This keep a LOT of water out of the inside of the camper that will evaporate and be trapped inside the camper. Dry and clean... every time!

When opening them, double check to make sure no cabinet doors or something else came open, or fell on the floor blocking their pathway and breaking whatever may be in their path. Cabinet doors loose every time!

Lwiddis wrote:

I put reflective red and white tape on my slide’s three sides....may save some grief.

Me too. I started first on the MorRyde steps, as we have a back door on the opposite side of the camper and bathroom is accessed on that side when slides are in. Lowering the step at rest stops and such, I was concerned about traffic not noticing the steps. So the reflective tape can not hurt get attention that something is protruding, it sure can't hurt.

That led to the reflective tape on each end of each slide. This helps in my own driveway, as I leave for work before sunrise and back around the camper in the dark. That reflective tape helps me see the slides a whole lot easier.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have three on mine and they’re used ALOT. All of them have toppers to keep the debris out. Only problem I’ve had was one of them wouldn’t go out until I gave it a boost. It’s a rack and pinion type and the stop can got out of adjustment. That caused it to bind. Then can is not square and it basically got upside down. Easy fix if you know about it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They're not magic, you don't need a parts truck following you around, they're handy and sometimes stuff breaks, not unlike every other mechanical thing.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good, informative replies. Thanks!

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had a problem with the slides on my last 2 trailers. I personally would not own a trailer without slides.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Slides- Important stuff AND what they don't tell you.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS