Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why aren't Truck Campers popular in W. Pa.?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why aren't Truck Campers popular in W. Pa.?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
time2retire

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I'll be! We went to the RV show in Pgh. this weekend and guess what? For the first time since I've been going there (20 yrs.) they have a truck camper on display. And guess what else? It's a Northern Light for $45,000. I forget the model but the weight is 3800 lbs. It had a nice layout for an 8' bed. It seamed that it got a lot of attention.

The RV dealer from Central Pa. had just signed on to NL. He really didn't know a lot about it.

He claimed it was good for a 3/4 ton sw truck. I was skeptical. Am I wrong?

Anyhow it was good to see one at the W. Pa. RV show for the first time.

Like I said before, if you don't have em you won't sell em.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3800 lb empty, will make close to 5000 lb loaded.
Average 3/4 tons truck has close to 3000 lb on rear axle, so that makes total zooming at 7500- 8000 lb.
Find me 3/4 truck who has rear axle rated for it?

* This post was edited 01/20/20 08:47am by Kayteg1 *

time2retire

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Average 3/4 tons truck has close to 3000 lb on rear axle, so that makes total zooming at 7500- 8000 lb.

That's exactly what I was thinking. His justification was that NL delivered the unit on a 3/4 ton and he brought it to the show on one.

As much as I'd like to see more RV dealers sell them here, they have a lot to learn.

stumper92

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2retire wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. His justification was that NL delivered the unit on a 3/4 ton and he brought it to the show on one.

As much as I'd like to see more RV dealers sell them here, they have a lot to learn.

Also the camper would have been dry and without all the stuff you typically load in a camper after you buy it.

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Northern Lite 10-2 on a GMC 3500. When I weighed it ready to camp, the stock rear wheels and tires were right at the limit. I had to go to 19.5's to feel safe. It handles well now, no more sway. Most truck sway is in the sidewalls of the tires. No way would I use a 3/4 ton to carry most of the campers out there. In fact, I don't know why they even make 3/4 ton trucks. Either get a real truck or a little grocery-getter 1/2 ton. Sorry, but I'm rather highly opinionated. I guess that's an understatement. Only my opinion, didn't mean to offend anyone.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2retire wrote:

He claimed it was good for a 3/4 ton sw truck. I was skeptical. Am I wrong?

Come down to the beach, SRW's galore carrying more weight than that while out on soft sand in 4x4. Now should it be done that is the question, I answered it for myself by upgrading to a DRW.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

time2retire

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First trip with the new Adventurer. We had temps in the 60's two weeks ago so we did a weekend practice run at Quinemahoning state Park, Pa. Everything went well as we learned some things about our new toy.

[image]

Edit: Ok, how do I get the pic up?

Moderator edit: only one set of image tags

* This post was edited 01/22/20 06:33am by an administrator/moderator *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

markchengr wrote:

I have a Northern Lite 10-2 on a GMC 3500. When I weighed it ready to camp, the stock rear wheels and tires were right at the limit. I had to go to 19.5's to feel safe. It handles well now, no more sway. Most truck sway is in the sidewalls of the tires. No way would I use a 3/4 ton to carry most of the campers out there. In fact, I don't know why they even make 3/4 ton trucks. Either get a real truck or a little grocery-getter 1/2 ton. Sorry, but I'm rather highly opinionated. I guess that's an understatement. Only my opinion, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Do you realize that most 3/4T and 1T srw trucks are essentially the same truck?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why aren't Truck Campers popular in W. Pa.?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.