Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Spring blocks disintegrated
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Spring blocks disintegrated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took our 2014 Ram 3500 DRW in for an oil change and fuel filter change after a two week trip out west and I mentioned to the dealer that the camper loaded was a half inch lower on the passenger side and asked them to take a look at the suspension.

When they jacked it up to take a look, the blocks in the springs fell out, almost completely disintegrated.

I was hoping you guys could point me to a good resource to figure this out. I don't really know much about suspensions and the dealer was recommending having air bags installed. I live up north and I've read that air bags aren't a good fit up here.

Also, while I'm taking care of this I might get an anti-sway bar installed for peace of mind.

Seeking any and all advice.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sway bar is an excellent idea. As far as the blocks are these the stock overload bumpers? Aftermarket? I have seen some posts from people using Torklift bumpers that have disintegrated as you describe. TL will replace them if that's the case. You have plenty of truck for your camper. You might consider stable loads rather than air bags.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the thread about Torklift's disintegrating blocks and both ended up with free replacements.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29968569.cfm

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

the blocks in the springs fell out

Block IN the springs?? Do you mean the pads that the overload springs push against under load? Or something different?
If the former, I made my pads out of Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene, UHMW. It's cheap, can be bought in just about any size, cuts and drills as easy as wood, but wears stronger than steel.
I wore out several kinds of pads until this was recommended. Thousands of miles -- no wear, no problems.
[image]

Cal

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holy **** you guys are awesome. They are torklift upper overloads. I'm looking at stable loads now too.

Is an anti sway bar worth having with the stable loads and the upper overloads or is that just overkill?

edit:

[emoticon] Lifetime warranty doesn't transfer with new owner.

* This post was edited 10/18/19 04:52pm by Freep *

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

Holy **** you guys are awesome. They are torklift upper overloads. I'm looking at stable loads now too.

Is an anti sway bar worth having with the stable loads and the upper overloads or is that just overkill?

Sway bar is definitely worth having.

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cewillis wrote:

I made my pads out of Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene, UHMW. It's cheap, can be bought in just about any size, cuts and drills as easy as wood, but wears stronger than steel.

Please tell me more. Where did you get it? How did you mount it?

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

edit:

Did you actually speak to someone at Torklift? They're usually really good about standing behind their products and I can't imagine why having a new owner of rubber blocks should change their life expectancy.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

My air bags work just fine at -37 c (-34 f)

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Freep wrote:

edit:

Did you actually speak to someone at Torklift? They're usually really good about standing behind their products and I can't imagine why having a new owner of rubber blocks should change their life expectancy.
That would make it a FOREVER warranty . Transferable warranties have a time or mileage limit.

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Spring blocks disintegrated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS