Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trouble with California
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

You certainly have the right to refuse a search, but then they also have the right to tell you to turn around and go back the way you came...

Indeed! And just be thoughtful of how many farmers' livelihood will be ruined if you are indeed carrying pests.

@fj12ryder - Civics 101, Nancy is not responsible for state regulations, CA legislators do.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

You're kidding me right? You let the government violate your rights on awhim?

You seem to be missing one HUGE but subtle detail.

It's NOT a violation when they ask for your permission.......

Nobody put a gun to your head and forced their way in, but you'll probably never know if your tag info, and etc., just went into a database of 'uncooperative' folks.

I have a LOT of LEO friends, they all say the same thing, a LOT of info comes up when they run a name, most of that and the subjects behaviour are the biggest part of deciding on how thy get treated and whether or not they get tickets.

Most people forget, speaking of little details, that YOU don't own the tags on your vehicle, the State does. In this part of the world they have spot inspections on major highways, usually on holiday weekends, where they check suspected unsafe or dangerous vehicles. Lots' of mouthy folks give the folks doing the checking a hard time. They're the ones who usually get told they're free to go ....... just as soon as the tow truck gets there, but the tags are staying with us.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have been no free than happy to do a u turn. California aim,t that big a deal. I answered her questions truthfully and completely, I was carrying no fruit no pests. Can the same be said for the other Travelers there with me that got the cursory questions and waved on,? Why was I singled out for special scrutiny?
It boggles my mind that so many of you are so willing to surrender your rights. I spent a 31year career with the federal government having a minimum of a secret clearance and the last 8with a top secret carying segeral endorsements.
I know first hand what a petty government official can do to a citizen,I will not become a victim. If you wish to bow down to an unconstitutional request go for it. I for one will stand on my two feet and demand my government treat me as a citizen, not a subject!

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, that's the only trouble with California. Absolutely no problems other than wanting to do an Ag inspection.

Eliminate the Ag inspections and the state would be a utopia. [emoticon]

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

I would have been no free than happy to do a u turn. California aim,t that big a deal. I answered her questions truthfully and completely, I was carrying no fruit no pests. Can the same be said for the other Travelers there with me that got the cursory questions and waved on,? Why was I singled out for special scrutiny?
It boggles my mind that so many of you are so willing to surrender your rights. I spent a 31year career with the federal government having a minimum of a secret clearance and the last 8with a top secret carying segeral endorsements.
I know first hand what a petty government official can do to a citizen,I will not become a victim. If you wish to bow down to an unconstitutional request go for it. I for one will stand on my two feet and demand my government treat me as a citizen, not a subject!

Excuse me, but the border inspector has the rights to go inside and inspect your RV.

It's a decided case that trailers and motorhomes are part of "automobile exception" for warrantless search.

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I spent a 31year career with the federal government"

You certainly didn't spend any of your career with the Department of Agriculture.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

...If you wish to bow down to an unconstitutional request go for it. I for one will stand on my two feet and demand my government treat me as a citizen, not a subject!

a request to do this or that is just that a request. requests are neither constitutional or unconstitutional...they're just requests. you said no. end of story. if they had pushed their way inside to search without probable cause then that may be unconstitutional. if you suffer retaliation for that answer then it's time for an atty otherwise have a nice day.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

You dun good. Don't let the sheep get to you.

btw, US citizens' rights are different from foreigner's rights. Yes, even our good friends from Canada. Freedom of US citizens to travel within the US across state lines is federally codified somewhere (and no, I am not going to look it up for you). Remember, Rules made up by some bureaucrat are not Laws.

And the sov folks are a whole nuther issue.

And I'm IN B4 the Closed Thread post.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Why was I singled out for special scrutiny?
Maybe what you should have done is what I did when it happened to me and just ask why. The inspector told me it was simply based on my plates, NJ at the time. They told me that at that time any vehicle from that area was getting a special going-over because of - what's that they call it now - a credible threat.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

pitch wrote:

...If you wish to bow down to an unconstitutional request go for it. I for one will stand on my two feet and demand my government treat me as a citizen, not a subject!

a request to do this or that is just that a request. requests are neither constitutional or unconstitutional...they're just requests. you said no. end of story. if they had pushed their way inside to search without probable cause then that may be unconstitutional. if you suffer retaliation for that answer then it's time for an atty otherwise have a nice day.

Except that this is already a decided case by the U.S. Supreme Court decision in California vs. Carney case, the a motorhome, while it is similar to a house/home, is part of the "automobile exemption" can can be subject to search without need of a warrant.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.