Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trouble with California
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next
mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Seems the most invasive pests, are those making videos.

Hahahaha

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

diginomad

Dispersed Camping in the Wild West

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent the first 21 years of my life in SoCal and have been through the inspection points more times than I can count.

I'd find it very odd if they wanted to search my rig. I don't care what level they are on. Trust nobody.

Just be glad they weren't looking for plastic bags or straws [emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/26/20 12:21pm by an administrator/moderator *

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This post is directed to those of you that have law degrees and those of you in law enforcement, please answer and correct me if I am wrong, I am not looking for arguments, just facts under the law.

Is an RV rolling down the road considered a vehicle or a home?

Is an RV that is parked with the sewer hose connected, the water connected and hooked to the electric grid cosidered under the laws as a home or an RV?

What part of an RV is the vehicle and what part is a home?

A 5th wheel or a pull trailer being towed are they rolling vehicles or homes, understanding that the pull units are vehicles and not homes.

navegator

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

diginomad wrote:

Just be glad they weren't looking for plastic bags or straws [emoticon]

[emoticon]

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am generally a law abiding citizen. I support law enforcement. But I wish our government would care more about removing the 12 million illegal aliens than about it's own citizens. We have a constitution that gives us rights. These rights are not just for criminals, they are for our own protection. Read about out history before and during the Revolutionary War. Then you will understand why we have them and why we should protect them. I know people say "what's the problem if you have nothing to hide"? What if they stop you walking down the street minding your own business? What if they demand to enter your home anytime they want? Our Founding Fathers put limits on the government for our protections.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

This post is directed to those of you that have law degrees and those of you in law enforcement, please answer and correct me if I am wrong, I am not looking for arguments, just facts under the law.

Is an RV that is parked with the sewer hose connected, the water connected and hooked to the electric grid cosidered under the laws as a home or an RV?

A 5th wheel or a pull trailer being towed are they rolling vehicles or homes, understanding that the pull units are vehicles and not homes.

navegator

From Supereme Cour decision:

"The Supreme Court acknowledged that a motorhome was capable of functioning as a home, ... the relevant purposes, the Court found that a motorhome is more similar to a car than a stationary house. The Court explained that, like with a car, a motorhome’s “ready mobility” makes it impractical for police to get a warrant before searching. And, according to the Court, a person doesn’t have the same compelling privacy interest in a motorhome that they would have in a regular home. These factors convinced the Court that the automobile exception should apply to motorhomes..."

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

navegator

RV rolling down the road is a 'mobile conveyance'. To any invasive pests, it is a home for they do not care about RVing.

RV parked and connected is still a mobile conveyance, unless you are in the actual phase of living in the RV, eating, sleeping, residing within the RV, etc. To any invasive pests, they do not care if you are rolling down the highway or parked and connected.

When you are in the action of residing in the RV, any portion of that mobile conveyance inbound of the threshold is considered part of your temporary residence. Any invasive pests care not whether they are inbound or out bound of the threshold. A free ride or stationary is all good for them.

5th wheel or trailer being towed, asked and answered above within the scope of the term RV.

Nothing is as cut and dry as the questions asked above were intended to be. The 4th Amendment exceptions to a mobile conveyance apply.

Hope this answers your questions.

Lakeside

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RGar974417 wrote:

I am generally a law abiding citizen. I support law enforcement. But I wish our government would care more about removing the 12 million illegal aliens than about it's own citizens. We have a constitution that gives us rights. These rights are not just for criminals, they are for our own protection. Read about out history before and during the Revolutionary War. Then you will understand why we have them and why we should protect them. I know people say "what's the problem if you have nothing to hide"? What if they stop you walking down the street minding your own business? What if they demand to enter your home anytime they want? Our Founding Fathers put limits on the government for our protections.
Do you somehow support the notion that all crimes or issues deemed subordinate to other crimes should not be prosecuted or pursued until all those superior issues and crimes are eliminated. In other words, until felony murder is completely eliminated burglaries shouldn't be investigated, because that is what you are suggesting by saying forget trying to protect agriculture and our waterways (in many western states you are required to stop and have your boat inspected for invasive mussels and snails) and eliminate invasive pest inspections until illegal emigration is solved. Personally, I don't see how one has anything to do with another.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It takes a lot of attitude to get cross-threaded with the ag inspection agents a the CA border. Be respectful. Do what they ask. No problema.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

It takes a lot of attitude to get cross-threaded with the ag inspection agents a the CA border. Be respectful. Do what they ask. No problema.

You don't even have to do what they ask. Just be respectful and if you don't agree to a search, then state no politely. Don't play games, don't give attitude.

It's your choice and your right not to be searched. But you don't have to be an @ss to stand up for your rights. Everybody has or had a job where you learned that jerks with attitudes make a simple task impossible and stressful. Don't be that jerk for someone else.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.