Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Diesel Pusher upgrading to heavier toad-advice needed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Diesel Pusher upgrading to heavier toad-advice needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JBouknight

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Bottom line (based on physics):

Extra weight has little effect on flat ground once up to speed.

Extra weight makes a difference when accelerating.

Extra weight makes a more significant difference when climbing grades.

Go to this link and download the PDF. Written by Caterpillar Corp, but same physics applies to all vehicles.

***Link Removed***

I don't know about everyone else but after reading that, I am going to have all of these calculations going on in my head while driving down the road.LOL The newest of which is the cold air temp robbing my MPGs. [emoticon]
Thanks for the interesting info!

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JBouknight wrote:

I don't know about everyone else but after reading that, I am going to have all of these calculations going on in my head while driving down the road.LOL The newest of which is the cold air temp robbing my MPGs. [emoticon]
Thanks for the interesting info!

Aerodynamic drag changing with temperature should come as a big surprise. More molecules to "hit" at colder temperatures.

I KNOW pilots know this. Heck, this summer we just flew non-stop Dallas to Sidney, Australia. Airbus 380. Sold out flight. 1/4 seats EMPTY. With hot temperature in Dallas, not enough lift (not enough air molecules passing over/under the wings) with full plane (ya and enough fuel for the 17+ hour flight).

Our MPG in summer running the dash air is still better than freezing temperatures trips without the compressor running.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. Do we have any thermodynamics trained individuals out there who might comment on this. When I went through my engineering thermo courses it seems to me that the overall power (efficiency) of ANY heat engine (gas, diesel, turbine, etc.) was always higher as the temperature spread between engine operating temp and outside air temp increased. In plane language higher efficiency as it got colder out there.

As far as the airplane example was concerned, the reduction in payload was caused by a reduction in density altitude at takeoff. That could have effected the airplane two ways. Either the runway was too short and the reduced engine efficiency did not allow a the heavy plane to accelerate to takeoff speed before you ran out of pavement, or the takeoff speed needed to be higher due to less dense air caused by the heat and airport altitude, and you were still in danger of running out of pavement. Each aircraft has performance diagrams that tell the pilots (or commercial airlines dispatcher) how the aircraft is going to perform with a given load, temperature, and density altitude.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Diesel Pusher upgrading to heavier toad-advice needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS