Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Union Pacific Big Boy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Union Pacific Big Boy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today I watched the Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 go by at Solomon KS on it's 150 year commemorative run of the Trans Continental Railroad. It was the largest steam locomotive built. If you get a chance check it out on YouTube video.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a rail fan. Big Boy came up through eastern OK on their way back to Cheyenne on their southwest tour.
Heavy equipment has always intrigued me especially after working a short time at Unit Rig in Tulsa making 200 ton dumps back in '73/'74.
I made Claremore OK a hour early for Big Boys scheduled lube stop . Good grief...had to park down town a half mile away and still couldn't get.

UP Engineer Ed Dickinson and crew has done a tremendous job taking the 600 ton 4-8-8-4 beast apart and making it new again. Luckily their were a few old timers around that did this in the '40s/50s and early '60s era to give advice.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The traffic was horrible, I could not beleive the turnout to see it come through. Cars were lined up from Solomon to Salina 12 miles. It was on the news and a very large turnout wherever it went. Union Pacific got thier money's worth in restoration cost in advertising. 7000 HP and 17' high truly massive.

Dave E

Mid Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here is a link

click here

If at first you don't succeed--don't try sky diving!!
I'd rather be camping

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Boy was in Yuma, AZ. several weeks ago. It spent the night downtown, then left about 8 AM. It was amazing to see all the folks watching it along the way thru Yuma. We went out of town to the VFW parking lot along US 95. When we got there was already several cars and more kept coming. What was funny was watching traffic going both directions on US 95 with that look of "what is going on"?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noticed the Weather Channel was showing Big Boy running through the snow in Hays KS today.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several you tubes popped up yesterday evening of 4014 in snow.
I bet the engineer ED Dickinson was glad as it cut down on the crowds lining the track. I saw where he had to shut the train down some where in TX because morons standing on the rails. You can hear ED making short continuous blasts on the whistle in many you tubes trying to get idiots of the rails.
Ed was engineer on the 844 steam engine last year on a run from Cheyenne to Denver and back. One woman was killed at a small town north of Denver. She was standing next to the rails and didn't get back. The rails are just 4'- 8.5" wide but these engines are 12' + wide.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't fix stupid.

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would love to see that train going down the rails. Union Pacific is doing an awesome event.

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I correct that it just finished the route? There doesn't seem to be a website that lists the completed dates and times of the various stops so I'm kind of inferring that it's finished.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Union Pacific Big Boy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.