Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tesla Cybertruck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Cybertruck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 47  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 02:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

mich800 wrote:

What is a crossover pickup? A pickup with no pickup features?

Back over 45-60 years ago Ford and Chevy sold quite a few cars with a pickup bed in place of the back seat and trunk area. And often the volume of the bed was larger than the same year pickup. Floor of bed closer to ground, so less lifting to load. Often better than a pickup for relocating your home.
Before WWII the where some models called businessman's delivery coupe. A near pickup bed sized box would slide out of the trunk.
For a while, among working people, if the people area was bigger than the cargo area, it ain't a truck.
I had 2 El Caminos, both of them would haul....................a$$

So it's a Suburu Brat...Actually in other countries they still sell similar models but if this is the case, he's not marketing to his target audience.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Toyota still has a negligible market share because they thought they knew better what would sell.

Only in recent years have they made any inroads as they moved towards what the Big3 sell...problem now is most buyers see toyota and think "toy" truck.

I agree. I think Toyota and Nissan both wildly underestimated the impact of brand loyalty in the domestic pick-up market. I don't see it being any different for Tesla. What I think will be different is that I don't think Tesla's target audience is current Chevy/GMC/Ford/Ram owners. They are looking to grab the younger market who likely have never owned a pickup, but like the idea and the idea of an EV. I've talked with a number of young people 25 and under and with the exception of 2 now, all have said they love the design and would buy one today if they could afford it.

Will I buy one? I won't say never. I hated the look of the Dodge trucks when they changed in 1994 (I think), but then owned one a few years later. I will just say that I'm not currently considering one.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

I agree. I am just disappointed Elon touted this as a bad %$# truck to replace the F150/Ram. But offers nothing a truck buyer is looking for. At least the El Camino and Ranchero offered something the Pick-ups didn't or unique.

Yes, the El Camino and Ranchero where not marketed to people that needed or even wanted a truck.

valhalla360 wrote:

So it's a Suburu Brat...Actually in other countries they still sell similar models but if this is the case, he's not marketing to his target audience.

Are we right sure about not marketing to his target? The improved creature comforts of the half tons, plus pollution controls on the car based vehicles, (pollution controls also caused the growth of the truck based cars) cut the sales of the early crossovers. But a very large percentage of the class 1 pickups, never haul or tow anything. The Tesla likely fit right in.
Where the Tesla, and some of the diesel, buyers might have issues is a lot of pickup are bought by 3rd owners that have intention of working the truck hard. House painters that don't worry about spilled paint. Junkers, that gather recyclables, and a dent don't matter. For those people, need a big bed, and can't gamble much on a emission system that could change your truck into a recyclable at any time.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

That wasn't tempered safety glass.

If it was, it would have broken into small pieces

Think it had an inner layer of plastic, like the windshield

Ask if anyone knows if DOT allows plastic laminate side glass.

Otherwise, emergency folks won't be able to break the glass to rescue folks

Plus, will the jaws of life be able to QUICKLY get people out of a burning cybertruck ?

PS...IMHO...exoskeleton is just another word for monocoque...or unibody

Laminated side safety glass is common nowadays. We use a fancy handsaw to cut it, and it cuts pretty fast.

Any time we have to use hydraulic extrication tools to extricate someone, it doesn't go real fast, despite what is shown on TV. The best way to save a person trapped in a burning car is to put the fire out, which on an EV is a huge challenge. I'm sure there will be some differences in how this vehicle needs to be addressed for vehicle extrication. I'd love for Tesla to drop one off to practice on!

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Durb wrote:

They aren't orders, they are reservations. Some people are making up to 10 thinking they will be able to flip them. The Model S was a success in part because it is a stunning looking vehicle with classic proportions. The truck, not so much.

Your denial of Tesla success is obvious not that I give a s***

Some old timers just cant comprehend progress and what youngsters dig.
Big fail for legacy automakers
The awesome specs for Tesla truck obviously helps

Btw anyone thinking of FLIPin Tesla expecting to sell for more is nutz.
It may work for houses or Exotic cars but not for Tesla.

Reservations are same as Orders ffs you still have to PAY for them before taking posesion.

And every car DEpreciates soon as you buy it,well Tesla not so much actualy,go look up second hand one in good condition.

They are not the same as orders. Even the fans have admitted otherwise. And as far as success with respect to the truck. That will be completely unknown for several years. I would place the same weight of success in the truck Vis-a-vis reservations to that of someone that clicked interested in a Facebook event, which is nothing. I will wait until there is something in production that is not a concept vehicle.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dup

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Durb wrote:

They aren't orders, they are reservations. Some people are making up to 10 thinking they will be able to flip them. The Model S was a success in part because it is a stunning looking vehicle with classic proportions. The truck, not so much.

Reservations are same as Orders ffs you still have to PAY for them before taking posesion.

And every car DEpreciates soon as you buy it,well Tesla not so much actualy,go look up second hand one in good condition.

You might take a look at what I wrote. People are betting on flipping their reservation, not the vehicle. A reservation is a spot in line. Some are betting others will pay a premium to move closer to the front of the line. Maybe scalping their reservations would have been better said.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So if I may summarize, the motor and transport industry will move into Ev starting the sedans which is happening right now, then jump to transports with semis while pick-up and trucks will remain ICE?

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apologies if this has been said, but a couple of points about the cybertruck- at a base of just under $40k, it will be the cheapest available. The reason for the cheap price? Assembly uses no stamping presses or paint booths- the body is laser cut and folded, the stainless alloy being to hard to stamp..

-- Chris Bryant

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

free radical wrote:

Durb wrote:

They are not the same as orders. Even the fans have admitted otherwise. And as far as success with respect to the truck. That will be completely unknown for several years. I would place the same weight of success in the truck Vis-a-vis reservations to that of someone that clicked interested in a Facebook event, which is nothing. I will wait until there is something in production that is not a concept vehicle.

Has any data been published on how many Model 3 reservations were converted to sales verses backing out? That may be a sign of actual truck demand...

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 47  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Cybertruck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.