Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Upgraded F150 tires to E
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Upgraded F150 tires to E

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably nothing to most of you... but i put new tires on the F150 and went with Michelin Defender LTX, which comes in both D & E, I chose the E. I don't recall what tire the truck had, somebody had suggested it was B range... but IDK.

I'm only towing a 5k trailer, but what a difference this tire upgrade made. Used to be if a semi blew past me at 10 over my speed, or a full size truck at 20 over my speed (65mph), I'd feel a little wiggle. NOTHING, NADA, now! There's also less bounce with and without the load leveling bars.

Without a trailer, the tires are slightly noisier, and slightly rougher ride.

We're doing a big trip soon, and while the old tires with 50k miles on them still had lots of wear left, I didn't want to tow the trailer a long distance and possibly in snow with those tires.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of 150s using E-rated tires for load carrying/towing. I am curious what air pressure you are using for towing. I have a friend using Es on his 150, and I think he runs 55 front 65 rear when towing. Personally, I would have purchased the Ds, if given the choice, and run them at max on the rear, when towing. JMO, and surely opinions vary. Glad yours are working for you, and your towing improved.

Jerry

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New tires are always a wonderful addition to every vehicle. If I was made of money I'd probably get a new set every year just because I could. That said, proper LT tires, ideally E rated, are a must for me. C vs. E range is pretty much a no brainer. I'm not surprised one bit that you are happier with your LT rated tires vs. the P metric tires they replaced.

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Probably nothing to most of you... but i put new tires on the F150 and went with Michelin Defender LTX, which comes in both D & E, I chose the E. I don't recall what tire the truck had, somebody had suggested it was B range... but IDK.

I'm only towing a 5k trailer, but what a difference this tire upgrade made. Used to be if a semi blew past me at 10 over my speed, or a full size truck at 20 over my speed (65mph), I'd feel a little wiggle. NOTHING, NADA, now! There's also less bounce with and without the load leveling bars.

Without a trailer, the tires are slightly noisier, and slightly rougher ride.

We're doing a big trip soon, and while the old tires with 50k miles on them still had lots of wear left, I didn't want to tow the trailer a long distance and possibly in snow with those tires.

Glad you are happy with the LRE tires. When I went from P rated tires to LRE tires on my Tundra years ago I was expecting a big improvement towing. I couldn't tell the difference. Even when I went to the bigger trailer and I towed with P rated winter tires vs the LRE tires I didin't notice a difference either. Glad you are happy and notice an improvement, I just never did.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you noticed the difference

Not just weight carry rating, but stronger/stiffer/etc sidewall and the rest of the carcass

Only part of the reason class "P" tires used on trucks, RMA recommends (require) a min 9% de-rating of the sidewall molded ratings

The rest of the suspension also matters. Like wheel ratings...off-set, PSI & Weight. If course, the tire OEM recommended rim width range (bead to bead)

Finally, PSI requirements are different between these 2 classes if tires for equivalent weights

When going next class higher, also note that the tire PSI sensors may NOT be rated for the PSI's required

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t be a bonehead and run full 80psi. Weigh loaded and unloaded. Use weight inflation chart for your tires. Add 5 psi to rear and 10 to fronts.

You will get best ride, tread wear and stopping.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Don’t be a bonehead and run full 80psi. Weigh loaded and unloaded. Use weight inflation chart for your tires. Add 5 psi to rear and 10 to fronts.

You will get best ride, tread wear and stopping.

Currently at max tire sticker, 35 psi. I'll go ahead and boost before our long trip.

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Currently at max tire sticker, 35 psi. I'll go ahead and boost before our long trip.
Your tire sticker only applies to the OEM tire.

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, My 2014 F-150 came with load range "C" LT tires. Door sticker says to run 40 lbs front and rear. Max cold pressure for these tires is 50 lbs. When towing my trailer I leave my front tires at 40 lbs. and raise my rear tires pressure to 50 lbs. Works perfect. No need to go to "E"s.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from "P"s to "E"s on y '12 F150. Big difference, they took all the squirm and wriggle out.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Upgraded F150 tires to E
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.