Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Portable Generator Insurance?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Portable Generator Insurance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you are at it be sure to check the details of coverage for items in the RV. We had a theft and found that the RV insurance provided minimal coverage. We learned that homeowners typically provides the coverage so it is not included in the RV coverage. Sadly we were full timers, thought we had full timer's insurance and did not have any other policies.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 12/09/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“and say it is for work use.”

Any other LIES OP should make? Can you spell “INSURANCE FRAUD,” HTE? How about “adding and betting.”


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/09/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just insure the big stuff. 1,000 to 5,000 deductible would be no help on a used Honda that walked away.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rexmitchell

Texas

Full Member

Joined: 03/14/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/09/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

Insuring something you can afford to replace is a poor financial decision. If you can’t afford to replace a portable generator, you shouldn’t have one because they are difficult to insure. Insure companies sell the idea that insurance is a good idea. It’s a bad gamble in almost all cases until it begins covering more than you can afford to pay.


Seems like pretty dumb logic. I can replace my pickup but cover it with insurance because I’d prefer not to write a check when a couple hundred bucks a year covers me in the event of a total loss. Risk mitigation is smart if it is cost effective. Just like we ensure personal items that are valuable, I wanted to explore the same with a generator that costs over 2k. The price isn’t right/not available so I’m not doing it but it was worth exploring.....

* This post was edited 12/09/19 07:38pm by rexmitchell *

HTElectrical

Las Vegas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/09/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/19 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an Inland Marine Policy thru State Farm. It costs me $78.00 per year, and covers any tools, or materials in my truck up to $5,000.00 with a $100.00 deductible. It is also replacement cost of item. I had my laptop stolen out of my truck. It was mounted on a Ram Mount and was used for Invoicing. I paid $800.00 or $900.00 for it when new, and State Farm ended up sending me $1,300.00 because that is what the closest spec HP laptop cost to replace the stolen one.


2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 12/09/19 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexmitchell wrote:

jkwilson wrote:

Insuring something you can afford to replace is a poor financial decision. If you can’t afford to replace a portable generator, you shouldn’t have one because they are difficult to insure. Insure companies sell the idea that insurance is a good idea. It’s a bad gamble in almost all cases until it begins covering more than you can afford to pay.


Seems like pretty dumb logic. I can replace my pickup but cover it with insurance because I’d prefer not to write a check when a couple hundred bucks a year covers me in the event of a total loss. Risk mitigation is smart if it is cost effective. Just like we ensure personal items that are valuable, I wanted to explore the same with a generator that costs over 2k. The price isn’t right/not available so I’m not doing it but it was worth exploring.....


Could have explained it better but he's right....

On average, insuring something will long term be more expensive than simply paying for the replacement. With insurance, the price has to pay the average replacement cost plus advertising, agents, taxes, all kinds of expenses of running a business and making a profit.

Where insurance makes sense is for rare events that would cause a major financial impact.
- Lose a $1k generator...I'd be mad but I could go out and buy another without any significant long term effect on my financial situation.
- Lose a brand new $70k pickup a week after buying it...While I would get by, it would be a significant impact that could set me back a few years going towards retirement, to liberate enough cash to go get another...I would want to protect against that.
- Lose an old $5k pickup...again, I would be mad but it's not a big impact on my lifestyle.
- $250k house...very few people can justify skipping the insurance as the impact of a loss is simply too high.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


rexmitchell

Texas

Full Member

Joined: 03/14/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/10/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

rexmitchell wrote:

jkwilson wrote:

Insuring something you can afford to replace is a poor financial decision. If you can’t afford to replace a portable generator, you shouldn’t have one because they are difficult to insure. Insure companies sell the idea that insurance is a good idea. It’s a bad gamble in almost all cases until it begins covering more than you can afford to pay.


Seems like pretty dumb logic. I can replace my pickup but cover it with insurance because I’d prefer not to write a check when a couple hundred bucks a year covers me in the event of a total loss. Risk mitigation is smart if it is cost effective. Just like we ensure personal items that are valuable, I wanted to explore the same with a generator that costs over 2k. The price isn’t right/not available so I’m not doing it but it was worth exploring.....


Could have explained it better but he's right....

On average, insuring something will long term be more expensive than simply paying for the replacement. With insurance, the price has to pay the average replacement cost plus advertising, agents, taxes, all kinds of expenses of running a business and making a profit.

Where insurance makes sense is for rare events that would cause a major financial impact.
- Lose a $1k generator...I'd be mad but I could go out and buy another without any significant long term effect on my financial situation.
- Lose a brand new $70k pickup a week after buying it...While I would get by, it would be a significant impact that could set me back a few years going towards retirement, to liberate enough cash to go get another...I would want to protect against that.
- Lose an old $5k pickup...again, I would be mad but it's not a big impact on my lifestyle.
- $250k house...very few people can justify skipping the insurance as the impact of a loss is simply too high.


My thinking was this, when initially considering this I was thinking the cost would be that of a personal article policy. This runs about approximately 12$ a year per thousand dollars of insurable value. So in this case, if they would have covered it, it would have been $24 dollars a year. I'd pay that to insure the generator and I guarantee you it would die before I even came close to paying out the total value of it. This isn't an option since they won't insure it but that would have been worth it had they been willing to insure it in the same manner as they do jewelry, art, etc.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/10/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I said earlier, my RV insurance covers my generator, at no extra charge.


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/10/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

I disagree with the post from good sam director, I,ve had the same company for over twenty years I have over 20 different properties and rv,s cars etc with the same agent now his son. had claims over 5figures. and I,ve never got a letter saying my rates going up. or your cancelled. and he comes to my house every two years and reviews the darn things. sure glad I,m not with good sam.


You’re lucky then. And may want to shop your rates to see how they stack up after 20 years.
But if you’ve found a honest insurance company, please share, because I could lump the majority of ins co’s I’ve dealt with into the snake repellent thread!


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

rexmitchell

Texas

Full Member

Joined: 03/14/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/10/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

As I said earlier, my RV insurance covers my generator, at no extra charge.


They said if it was permanently mounted it would be covered.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Portable Generator Insurance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.