Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Portable Generator Insurance?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Portable Generator Insurance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
rexmitchell

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anybody insure their portable generators? Talked with State Farm today and am trying to figure out what the best option is. A personal item policy (similar to insuring a watch) is one option that has no deductible but only covers that one item. The other I'm trying to do is the contents policy of the travel trailer. There is some weird wording in our policy that covers items "normally used" in a trailer, while outside of the trailer within 30 feet of the trailer. So I'm wondering if it might be covered there. The benefit there is the contents coverage covers more than just the generator and will probably be cheaper even with our deductible ($250). Thoughts?

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your homeowners policy would probably already cover it minus your deductible up to the limitation when away from your own premises. You would have to find out what that amount would be from your homeowners agent. Typically 10% of the amount for contents you have at your home.

KPetrick

Englewood

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having an RV policy that covers the contents of the RV (including a portable generator) is generally better than having to go to the homeowners policy. If you have an accident that damages contents and the RV you only have one deductible. If you have to use both your RV and homeowners policy you will have two deductibles, two claims and two different adjusters to deal with. Most homeowners policies have $1,000 deductibles. With today's home insurance coverage, 1-2 claims and you may find yourself looking for a new policy.

Keith Director of Good Sam Insurance Agency

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Your homeowners policy would probably already cover it minus your deductible up to the limitation when away from your own premises. You would have to find out what that amount would be from your homeowners agent. Typically 10% of the amount for contents you have at your home.

Most homeowner's policies have $1,000 deductibles. Most claims on portable generators would not be worth it on such a policy. The potential hikes and or cancellations would not be worth the small amount reclaimed after the high deductible. If you want coverage, I would continue to look at the contents coverage you are already examining. Make the most sense to me.

rexmitchell

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The homeowners route is a waste due to my deductible being basically the cost of the generator. Hopefully they can clarify if it would be covered under the contents coverage. If not, insuring it as a personal article won't be that bad and there is no deductible there.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't try to insure everything that I own. I also don't buy extra extended warranties on stuff that I buy. I could probably buy a quarter of my used stuff for what the warranties and insurance would cost. I haven't lost or had anything stolen yet so I am way ahead as far as cost goes.
I have too much stuff to insure it all.As far as liability insurance goes, I have a good umbrella policy and make sure to get in writing that I am covered while using something.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

rexmitchell

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

I don't try to insure everything that I own. I also don't buy extra extended warranties on stuff that I buy. I could probably buy a quarter of my used stuff for what the warranties and insurance would cost. I haven't lost or had anything stolen yet so I am way ahead as far as cost goes.
I have too much stuff to insure it all.As far as liability insurance goes, I have a good umbrella policy and make sure to get in writing that I am covered while using something.

I don't typically do it either, but if the price is right I'm all over it. One of two things sounds like it may happen here. If it is covered under my contents coverage this will essentially be free since I'm already covered there. If I go the personal item route it will probably cost 20-30 bucks a year to insure a $2100 generator. I travel with it in my truck all the time and leave it at our hunting property at times so I think the price is right for piece of mind if either of those two options pan out.

KPetrick

Englewood

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also ask if you are getting replacement cost (brand new) or ACV (actual cash value/used).

Keith

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My vehicle insurance covers the depreciated value of the generator. However, it requires replacing it with an identical model. I would have changed to Champion from Yamaha because of greater capacity, and lower price.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rexmitchell

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KPetrick wrote:

Also ask if you are getting replacement cost (brand new) or ACV (actual cash value/used).

Keith

Yep, another good point. Personal item policies are definitely replacement values and if something appreciates/goes up in price the policy takes this into account. Not sure if that is the same with contents coverage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Portable Generator Insurance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.