Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Portable Generator Insurance?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Portable Generator Insurance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexmitchell wrote:

My thinking was this, when initially considering this I was thinking the cost would be that of a personal article policy. This runs about approximately 12$ a year per thousand dollars of insurable value. So in this case, if they would have covered it, it would have been $24 dollars a year. I'd pay that to insure the generator and I guarantee you it would die before I even came close to paying out the total value of it. This isn't an option since they won't insure it but that would have been worth it had they been willing to insure it in the same manner as they do jewelry, art, etc.

And I will GUARANTEE that ON AVERAGE, you will pay more for insurance than you will get back from insurance payouts. If this is not true, the insurance company will quickly be out of business.

I suspect, you are being confused by the small dollar value of the item insured and the dollar cost of the insurance but not looking at the big picture...which is what insurance actuaries look at.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember, insurance isn’t the oldest profession, but the end result is the same.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexmitchell wrote:

jkwilson wrote:

Insuring something you can afford to replace is a poor financial decision. If you can’t afford to replace a portable generator, you shouldn’t have one because they are difficult to insure. Insure companies sell the idea that insurance is a good idea. It’s a bad gamble in almost all cases until it begins covering more than you can afford to pay.

Seems like pretty dumb logic. I can replace my pickup but cover it with insurance because I’d prefer not to write a check when a couple hundred bucks a year covers me in the event of a total loss. Risk mitigation is smart if it is cost effective. Just like we ensure personal items that are valuable, I wanted to explore the same with a generator that costs over 2k. The price isn’t right/not available so I’m not doing it but it was worth exploring.....

On average, you will spend more in insurance premiums than you would to replace the truck. That is an absolute fact. If it weren’t true, the insurance industry would not exist. Like anything else, there are cases where insurance pays you more than you pay in, but those are a big minority of policy holders. The odds are against you, but insurance marketing has convinced people that it makes financial sense to insure everything.

When you figure in depreciation and deductibles, the payback on totaling a $70K truck is substantially less than $70K. The kicker that really gets you that most people don’t consider is how much your rates go up after making a claim. Even if a tree falls on your truck, insurance companies (they share claim data) will consider you a higher risk and you will pay more.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

rexmitchell

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

rexmitchell wrote:

My thinking was this, when initially considering this I was thinking the cost would be that of a personal article policy. This runs about approximately 12$ a year per thousand dollars of insurable value. So in this case, if they would have covered it, it would have been $24 dollars a year. I'd pay that to insure the generator and I guarantee you it would die before I even came close to paying out the total value of it. This isn't an option since they won't insure it but that would have been worth it had they been willing to insure it in the same manner as they do jewelry, art, etc.

And I will GUARANTEE that ON AVERAGE, you will pay more for insurance than you will get back from insurance payouts. If this is not true, the insurance company will quickly be out of business.

I suspect, you are being confused by the small dollar value of the item insured and the dollar cost of the insurance but not looking at the big picture...which is what insurance actuaries look at.

I’m not confused about it, we insure jewelry at the rate listed above. It would take many years before the cost of insurance equaled the replacement cost...like close to a lifetime. A generator is probably 1000x more likely to get stolen vs a wedding ring or watch so it makes sense why they won’t let me insure it as a personal item.

* This post was edited 12/11/19 09:38pm by rexmitchell *

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexmitchell wrote:

A generator is probably 1000x more likely to get stolen vs a wedding ring or watch so it makes sense why they won’t let me insure it as a personal item.

Not only is the likelihood of theft an issue, but the small pool of those seeking such coverage is also a concern. Insurance companies make their money by spreading out the risk to the point that it is statistically justifiable. They may lose out on a claim here or there, but the vast majority of participants will spend more on premiums than they will receive in benefits (which is why, in general, the public 'loses' on insurance).

When there aren't enough people who need coverage, however, the premium gets to high to be viable for the small group seeking coverage.

Generators are easily stolen, high cost, and used by a small group of individual consumers (I'm assuming commercial applications would be covered in other ways). This is a lose-lose scenario for insurers. So, yes, no surprise at all that some don't want to issue coverage.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HTE has learned to spell “insurance fraud?” Just sayin’...

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

I disagree with the post from good sam director, I,ve had the same company for over twenty years I have over 20 different properties and rv,s cars etc with the same agent now his son. had claims over 5figures. and I,ve never got a letter saying my rates going up. or your cancelled. and he comes to my house every two years and reviews the darn things. sure glad I,m not with good sam.

And this is why people use professionals when purchasing insurance. Because you are 100% wrong about not getting booted from your homeowners insurance with multiple claims in Michigan.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Portable Generator Insurance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.