Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Samlex remote switch cord to short
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex remote switch cord to short

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

NO, It is not like a Phone cord. Phone cords are NOT communication cords. What you have is a communication cord.

You are correct. but if you need to extend it you use a coupler and phone cords because you wish to preserve the pinout and they do that.

NOTE YOu must use the OEM cable (or one like it) for one leg of the run but you extend with common phone cable.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

NO, It is not like a Phone cord. Phone cords are NOT communication cords. What you have is a communication cord.

You are correct. but if you need to extend it you use a coupler and phone cords because you wish to preserve the pinout and they do that.

NOTE YOu must use the OEM cable (or one like it) for one leg of the run but you extend with common phone cable.

NO, YOU CANNOT DO THIS. PHONE couplers keep the wire code correct when coupled. COMMUNICATION COUPLERS(THEY ARE DIFFERENT), keep the Com wire code correct when coupled. Doug

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't want to add to the terminology debate. After looking at the manual Fisherman linked to, I just wonder why Samlex decided to wire the connectors at one end in reverse order from the other end? Strikes me as a dumb decision to help confuse things. At least they documented it well.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

I don't want to add to the terminology debate. After looking at the manual Fisherman linked to, I just wonder why Samlex decided to wire the connectors at one end in reverse order from the other end? Strikes me as a dumb decision to help confuse things. At least they documented it well.

The reversed pinout is one of the standards for RJ-12.
You could purchase a couple of ends and the crimper and make any size cable you want. Cat 5 (4 pair) cable is easy to find. Just discard one pair. All is available from Harbor Freight.

[image]

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't realize I was stepping on a pile commenting on this. With further looking I see that a "standard" RJ-12 cable has a 6-pin modular connector on each end (of either sex) and 6 wires connecting them. Looks like the wires can be scrambled any which way and still be under the umbrella of the standard. Having learned that, I still think it's dumb to not use pin 1 to pin 1, etc.

ivbinconned

highway 16

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up a longer wire with correct ends at computer store.

Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex remote switch cord to short
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.