Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Elec. heat v. Gas heat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Elec. heat v. Gas heat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
LaTriker

Ruston, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a heating element in my a/c and gas heat. If I turn on the elec. heat, will the system automatically switch to gas heat if the temperature drops below a certain degree?

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot will depend on what you actually have. Is yours an AC unit with heat strips (assumed) or actually a Heat Pump? If it has heat strips, I doubt it will auto switch to furnace. If it’s a heat pump will depend on brand, how old, etc.

Mine has a Dometic heat pump and thermostat and it does as you state. When the outside temp falls below a set number, it will auto switch to the furnace. When it warms up outside, it will switch back.

Every MH I had before this one that had heat strips would NOT switch.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably the thermostat will control the function. Need to post the make and model number. Otherwise need to RTFM and check the available program options.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It must be an electric heat pump system, which is basically the air conditioner running in reverse. They are not very effective below 40 degrees. This is probably why it suppliments the heat with propane below that temperature.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I think the OP only has a heat strip. That will function to well below freezing but will only do 1500 watts of heating. The Dometic thermostat doesn't switch to propane heating.

I added a second "dumb" thermostat which controls only the furnace. It is set to cut in if the temperature sags too much, or if the power goes off. This also allows me use the heat strip and the furnace at the same time.

If the OP has a heat pump, the control board may be sophisticated enough to switch over to the propane furnace if needed.

If someone has added a so called "cheap heat" system it will not automatically switch to propane should the power fail. Nor can you use the electric and the propane simultaneously.

So far, I have always had adequate power to heat 100% electrically. My peak load is about 7100 watts. I've boondocked at -37 C (-34 f) with two 15 amp shore power circuits. My RV is highly modified.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can tell you how mine works. The gas vs. electric heat is controlled by the thermostat. When you turn on electric heat, the thermostat may or may not also turn on the gas furnace depending on the spread between the room temp and set temp, plus some other algorithmic behavior built into the thermostat. Heat pump vs. heat strip is controlled by a non-adjustable thermostat in the roof unit. Above the set temp the heat pump runs, below the set temp the heat strip runs. I personally don't like this automatic behavior based on what somebody else decided I want, and have added switches to the thermostat and roof unit so I can force it to do what I want it to do.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My AC has the heat strips, but I have never turned it on. 1500 watts in the center of ceiling, or plug a space heater into that circuit, and put that 1500 watts near the floor, and where I am.

LaTriker

Ruston, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The a/c is a 2019 15,000 btu Colman Mark with a heat pump.

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LaTriker wrote:

The a/c is a 2019 15,000 btu Colman Mark with a heat pump.

When set to electric heat, it will not switch to gas heat at a certain outside temp. It will no longer exchange heat at about 40F as there is no longer heat for it to draw in. It will change over to gas heat when the inside temperature is 5 degrees less than the set (on the thermostat) temp, if you have propane in the tank.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heat pump roof top units will only work to about +40 f otherwise thet freeze up as they do not have a defrost cycle. Most thermostats then switch to furnace heating then back to heat pump when the day warms.
If cost is a factor, calculate resistance heating at 5160btu/ kwh, 80 % of 91502/gal btu for propane, heat pump @ 8200btu/ kwh roughly depending on unit.
Given that in our market that propane fills are $3.50/ gallon and elec. is ,15/kw, then its equal with propane furnace heat output, no savings.
Market price for power, propane and temps. you are in are your search. It may be in some places better to heat with propane. Other places electric . heat pumps are generally best when they work.
Know the costs and how your system works.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Elec. heat v. Gas heat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.