Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think rally's appeal to different types of people. Im not anti-social, but I don't necessarily enjoy the mass gatherings of people in an RV rally atmosphere.

I can sorta understand the new towable folks being a tad clannish. Remember, the "perception" likely was/is, "the coach folks opened up FMCA to towables because they needed new members in order to quit losing money". That may or may not be true, but I suspect when they arrived, and saw all the coach guys, they probably did just migrate to other towable folks. Honestly, I might have done the same, who knows.

I was at one campround a couple years ago, where there was a FMCA rally going on. Two folks left me with a bad impression for all. Doubt their behavior was indicative of the group at large, but it just seemed like "arrogance". One, an older lady, would take her dog out to do it's doo, and she let it do it's doo right in front of our friends 5th wheel... and of course never bothered to pick it up. I didn't find out about that until the last day, because I surely would have called her out.

Anyways, it's not surprising that like personnel are a tad clannish.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been to a "Rally". Not my type of thing but, I have nothing against people who enjoy it.

At public campgrounds it often; but not always; seems that the people with the expensive RV's tend to look down upon someone like myslef in my 20 year old 20 foot TT. Even though it's in good shape for it's age. If they give me funny looks I leave them alone. Maybe they think that makes me unfriendly ?

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somebody behave badly, toward me or others ..well they are not the reason we are there and we just go the other way.
We years ago had someone, more than one occurrance let their dog do its thing right in front of our steps and even throw their trash in a fire ring intended for our use.

Had a "lady" in a towable release her dog repeatedly to do its business in front of our coach between us and the lake ,and a year prior a let it pee on our chairs etc. That second year she was very profane toward me and I had not said anything to her about the dog.
I started to call a Relative, a sheriff to have a word with her. But instead she and her crew were banned from the campground.
We see these things all the time. Over and done with, dn'tlet themcolor everyone else with the same brush.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After the trip, we kinda just chuckled about it and chalked it up to one person's boorish behavior. Not indicative of everyone. Just thought it was kinda humorous.. FMCA rally going on and the FMCA member takes her dog in front of a 5er to take a ****.

Mike

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 03:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patnchris wrote:

You can try that, but again, very difficult to not offend someome.
Think about it....Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota
That's an automatic argumemt.
Sports unless you are all fans, is a problem
(And I have one friend who thinks all sports
are stupid and will always argue that anyone interested is of limited mental capacity.)
Camping...some will argue that tenting is the only real camping and rv people are ruining nature.
Campfire....Some must have it. While some say that the smoke is causing damage to their rv and they will lose money when they sell it.
Don't get me started on dog or no dog.
This my sound silly but the truth is people will argue about almost anything
We have entered onto an age where if someone has different ideas or does something you don't, or maybe their hobby is different than yours, you are wrong, or mentally unbalanced, or grossly unimformed.
I used to fish, alot. My neighbor liked to play golf. I accepted that he liked golf, however he couldn't get over that I didn't and the idea that I liked to fish meant that "I had a few too many damaged brain cells" (not a joke. He would bring it up over and over anytime we got together with others)
The world we live in has become overly judgemental. If I have a trailer and you have a motorhome, then I am wrong for not having one. God forbid if I buy a pop up. We'd never camp together again.
I like to wear jeans..but overheard one guy say it was a shame that I was so poor I couldn't afford slacks..had to bite my tongue on that one.
I know I sound thin skinned, but I'm really not. I just don't understand why I should have to agree with everyone, just not to start an escalating argument. Everyone seems to need to defend their position "to the death"no matter what the subject. Just look around. Much easier to nod, wave, and go about my business. Then I don't offend anyone.

To Pat & Chris,

I like your post. A lot of very truthful ideas and observations.
OH yes, my hair is red. People do not generally like red hair unless it is on a lady. I have personally experienced the prejudice some have toward redheads. Maybe I should start a protest like some of the other idiotic protests out there folks are having just because someone has a different take on a given subject.

A long time ago my parents told me, "If you don't have something 'good' to say about someone, keep your mouth shut". Wow, if that idea got loose, there would be people that disagreed with the wisdom of the statement.

To each, their own. I don't have to agree with you to talk about a subject. If folks feel like being by their-selves rather than mingle with other parts of the RV crowd, so be it. If folks want to socialize, that is fine also.

My personal pet peeve is someone who is or who acts ignorantly. I have no patience for such things, so when someone with ignorant tendencies shows up, I make distance my friend. It is very easy to turn and walk away and leave all the drama behind. Time to go fishing, or golfing, or just go read a book, or maybe even gaze at all the natural beauty that surrounds us.

Mingle or don't mingle. Do whatever you want as long as it does not impede my personal environment.

Enjoy RVing / camping until you can't!

Lakeside

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The incidents were not at a Rally. At Rally everyone that does attend them seems to be at their Sunday best.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

The incidents were not at a Rally. At Rally everyone that does attend them seems to be at their Sunday best.

Sure. Go with that.

In my case, the incidents were definitely at a Rally.

Mike

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

down home wrote:

Sure. Go with that.

In my case, the incidents were definitely at a Rally.

Mike

I didn't say your reported incidents didn't.
Only thing to say and operate from, is go the other way and not let these people make you sour on everyone else.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry.. guess I misunderstood your post.

I agree - shouldn't let anyone who acts poorly impact how you view others.

Mike

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I guess that this thread has now become irrelevant?

Stay safe and healthy.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.