Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fresh Tank Filling on City Water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fresh Tank Filling on City Water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
avarusbrightfyre

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still working on getting things replaced, but I think I might start using the RV side primarily and just using city water to fill the tank. I still have to do weekly emptying of my black tank anyway, so it wouldn't be that much of a change. It will also keep the pump from sitting for long periods without being used, and I've noticed that in general mechanical parts don't like to just sit unused.

As of right now, I've bypassed my selector valve and have the water inlet connected straight to the hose that goes to the plumbing fixtures. I'm slowly collecting parts to put everything back together mostly the way it was, except that I'm going to use screw on connectors for the selector valve connections instead of clamps or crimps. That way I can just unscrew everything if I need to take the valve out in the future.

It also turns out that my water pump is bad, so I have a replacement coming in for that as well. It really sucks because it's barely been used at all...like a few times for demo before purchase, and this one time when I was testing everything out. I'm taking this opportunity to install a dc connector plug so that the only wiring I have to do for future replacements is on the pump side and it will just plug right in.

While no one is every happy to have to fix things, part of me is glad this happened now so I can figure out how all this works while I have easy access to parts and city connections.

2019 34' Minnie Plus Travel Trailer
San Diego, CA

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree on that. It's way better that you found this now than two hours away out at a remote campsite.

If you are retaining the PEX (hard plastic lines) be careful with the worm drive hose clamps. They are easy to strip when tightening enough to compress the PEX. Home Depot will have the crimp rings and crimpers for the PEX lines in the plumbing section if you want to go that route. Also if you are using flexible lines make sure they are rated to handle the city water pressure. Up in my neighborhood I've seen 120 lbs pressure coming off the street. So I always use a pressure regulator when I hook up to city water.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

avarusbrightfyre

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another update: I got all my plumbing hooked up the way I want it and now everything works as it originally did, but now everything is screw on and easily removable if needed. It turns out the the flair-it fittings aren't sized for braided 1/2 PEX and it wouldn't fit, and that was giving me a lot of grief until a friend suggested I soak the end in really hot water to make it more flexible. That did the trick and it took like ten minutes to get everything finally hooked up again.

I did do some troubleshooting before hooking up the tank fill line, however. I ran water with the valve set to city and there was no leakage from the tank fill side of the valve even when under city pressure. This leads me to believe that the suggestion that the water pump leaking back into the tank was the correct one. I already have a replacement pump on order and it arrives next week, so we'll see if this solves the unwanted tank filling issue and my trailer is back to 100%.

avarusbrightfyre

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I agree on that. It's way better that you found this now than two hours away out at a remote campsite.

If you are retaining the PEX (hard plastic lines) be careful with the worm drive hose clamps. They are easy to strip when tightening enough to compress the PEX. Home Depot will have the crimp rings and crimpers for the PEX lines in the plumbing section if you want to go that route. Also if you are using flexible lines make sure they are rated to handle the city water pressure. Up in my neighborhood I've seen 120 lbs pressure coming off the street. So I always use a pressure regulator when I hook up to city water.

I am retaining all the PEX connections and so far nothing appears to be leaking at all. Ideally I won't have to deal with this again for a very long time, but I'll look out for stripping things next time. The entire trailer is using braided PEX, so I think it's beefier than the thinner stuff.

I did a lot of research before buying my trailer and I do have a pressure regulator that is set to around 55 PSI, which is what my pump maxes out at as well. I'm currently only getting 40 from the city, though. San Diego isn't great for water pressure.

avarusbrightfyre

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, so this should be the final update. I got the new pump installed and the fresh tank does not appear to be filling after sitting overnight. Pump works and runs fixtures, city water works and runs fixtures. Looks like the issue is solved for now. In the end, it looks like the pump was the original culprit.

However, I'm not comfortable yet because one of the flair-it fittings started leaking. I don't know if it was a bad connection or if it's a failing in the design or what. I replaced the leaking one with a crimp fitting and it seems to be fine now. Just a shame that it started while I was at work and there's some water damage. I'll be keeping an eye on it for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

rjsurfer

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timely post, my wife just noticed our fresh tank is full, it had been at one quarter. We also have water coming out of the fresh water fill.

I don't have a select valve for moving water into the fresh tank so the problem has to be a check valve in the pump?

I'm assuming it's at the output side of the pump.

Thanks

Ron W.

03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you will find that the check valve is built into the pump.

rjsurfer

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the backflow valve is in the pump, found that on some YouTube videos.

I looked at a post that mentioned running lots of water using the pump and sure enough after 10 minutes of continuous flow from multiple faucets the valve must have reseated and the water stopped entering the fresh water tank.

Ron W.

avarusbrightfyre

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjsurfer wrote:

Yes, the backflow valve is in the pump, found that on some YouTube videos.

I looked at a post that mentioned running lots of water using the pump and sure enough after 10 minutes of continuous flow from multiple faucets the valve must have reseated and the water stopped entering the fresh water tank.

Ron W.

Good to know. I'll try to remember that for next time. Thanks for the info!

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

I always fill the fresh tank upon arrival. It only took once to learn that lesson when the park shut the water off to fix a leak or whatever. The older the park the higher the chances.

2nd that Theirs a place our club goes Dirtbike riding and getting water is iffy...? So I always fill before I go anywhere.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fresh Tank Filling on City Water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.