Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Verizon 5g as hotspot if anyone has it yet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Verizon 5g as hotspot if anyone has it yet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
camperforlife

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Williebago wrote:

From our perspective 5G will never be anywhere I want to RV in my lifetime. That said, it would be nice if all of the providers would finish building out their 4G networks which have a 10 mile range between towers. Think of all the areas you camp that you cannot get a decent 3G signal and it goes to 1X or just "No Service".

5G is a dense urban environment technology. That said, it might replace RV park WIFI systems where a half a dozen pole mounted towers would cover a couple of hundred spaces with enough bandwidth that everyone can stream their favorite TV shows without buffering.

Time will tell, but don't hold your breath.

Just wait until the end of the year when Verizon suspends 3G. In my neck of the woods there is more 3G than LTE.

Williebago

Wichita, KS, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not really driven east of the Mississippi river, so do not know about cell phone coverage and if dropped calls are a problem because of not enough towers to handle the volume of calls or the line of site issues or whatever. I have driven all over the area west of the Mississippi river and while my plan is Verizon and my wife's plan is AT&T we are constantly amazed at how frequently one or the other or both of us will not have cell service, either 4G, 3G or less.

I think the carriers need to fulfill the obligation they have to provide the phone service the American public deserves for selling them the frequency rights in our country. You should be able to place a phone call from virtually every mile of every paved road in America. All of the maps provided by the carries are pathetic.

WILLIEBAGO

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

Go K-State Wildcats

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL there are plenty of 'paved roads' west of the Mississippi that have no cell signal. Try driving US 2 in Montana for example. And 5G would require something like 5 or 6 towers per mile to work, assuming no interference like hills and such.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"This mylar hat fits most cats"

I don't think it's actually made of "tin"

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

ItsyRV wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

But doesn't your tinfoil hat stop that? Where do you find tinfoil these days anyway?

Walmart!
Tin Foil Hat

They also sell it for your pets...
Tin Foil Cat Hat

And for the fashionable women, try this:
Tin Foil Shower Cap for Women

Just proves my point, the first is mylar which is aluminized plastic, and the last one is aluminum foil. Maybe aluminum doesn't block the harmful brain waves like the real tinfoil used to do?

You're wrong!

Just saw on TV between the ads for New Medicare Advantage Plans and Final Expense Life Insurance that a law firm has discovered that the makers of tin foil knew that their product did not prevent alien energy signals from space from entering your brains causing humans to engage in high risk activities like buying As Seen On TV products.

They claim these manufactures knew that aluminized products were able to prevent this risky behavior but hid the facts from the public. That they made millions off of spreading wacky conspiracy theories of alien invasions ( "V" and Alien Nation were propaganda pieces they produced) so as to increase the use and sale of tin foil product.

Further they claim that is you or anyone you knew, known, know or may have known or could possible one day know or just wish you known or not known, who have used tin foil since 3500 BC to present and and suffered brain poops from alien encounters, you may be entitled to substantial monetary award and damages. They ask that you call to learn the facts, get a free brochure and a private case evaluation. Just text 5GISWORTHTHEMONEY to 9999999*1.

Now off to Walmart, BOGO on reynolds wrap!

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Try driving US 2 in Montana for example. And 5G would require something like 5 or 6 towers per mile to work, assuming no interference like hills and such.

This is beginning to remind me of something similar to Edison's DC electric plants?

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the MIFI 6620 for several years. Some campsites would show up as 3G. Friends had a newer unit which would grab LTE sitting side by side and 3 times faster. Went and purchased a new 8820 which has made a real difference in what we could download and increase in speed. Verizon says newer units have the ability to receive lower grade LTE correspondence better than the old unit. Since 5 G won’t come close to our remote camping spots we went with the 8820 and saved $400.

* This post was edited 01/14/20 05:45pm by Retired JSO *

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

And when it does roll out it will be limited to major cities. The 5G broadcast range is pathetic, a matter of feet not miles. I doubt it's anything RVers will need to concern themselves with until the do a major upgrade of the tech.

True. From Verizon;

The shorter wavelength means 5G can carry a lot of data much faster than 4G, but it also means a much shorter range. 4G wavelengths have a range of about 10 miles. 5G wavelengths have a range of about 1,000 feet, not even 2% of 4G's range.

So roaming the country with 5G will be almost impossible unless they can somehow improve the range. Or built towers every 1,000 feet.

This is why 4g will be around for a Long time. Just like the wireless devices used in business, time was 900 MHz one antenna covered 20,000 sq ft + with new data speeds for those devices need an antenna for about every 500 saw ft and everything in the building will interfere with the signal.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jodeb720

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure someone will correct me, but 5g is a misnomer.

There are different versions of 5g that are out on the market. I believe the version that Tmobile is offering is a higher speed LTE (or 4g) which has greater range but isn't as fast.

Verizon's version is Millimeter wavelength and it can't pass through walls of a home. you have to have an external antenna to receive the signal - and it's a very short distance (1000' or less).

It's back to the old CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) versus GSM (AT&T/TMobile).

Let's not forget Starlink is coming in mid 2020 for much of the US and I think that will give terrestrial based solutions a run for their money. Of course, there are the questions of cost, bandwidth (Speed) and data caps.

oh one last thing.

If you use Speedtest, every single ISP in the country gives priority to those packets going to speedtest.net. I would suggest trying dslreports.com and use their speed test. It's going to be a more realistic test in terms of non priority routed packets through the internet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Verizon 5g as hotspot if anyone has it yet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.