Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Residential Refrigerator – Good or avoid?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Residential Refrigerator – Good or avoid?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
a64armt

Greencastle PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, we are on the hunt for a 5er’ to not only facilitate a relocation but we are planning on getting back into RV travel and adventure. We are looking at some used units, including several Lifestyle RV’s. I see a few with “residential refrigerators” and inverters. I am curious what the thoughts are from experienced owners. I have considered some differences, these include;

Plus – More room, usually ice and water in door, more visually appealing, probably better for full time operation / reliability
Minus – Expensive to purchase / replace, required removal of slide to replace, requires narrow range of models for fit and application.

Thoughts?
OJ

Vincent
Greencastle PA
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Residential refrigerators are the best. I would never go back to a Dometic or a NoCold gas refrigerator. They work better and have less of a chance of catching fire.

Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6600 & Maestro , K3, P3 and KPA 1500,Icom 7100
Steve and Joy
2011 Itasca Meridian 40u . . . 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Toad
Cooper ... The Doodle,
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most residential refrigerators are the same price as the RV fridge. But when you add in an inverter and a couple batteries then it gets a bit more pricey, but still well worth it.
I've heard installation is different depending on the fridge and RV. Some can go through the entry door with the fridge doors removed, others can go through a window, and I have heard of a few that say they need the slide removed.
I don't have a residential fridge, but one was optional on mine. I know a few people that have one and are happy with them.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are snowbirding for the first time this winter and have an 8 cubic foot Gas/Electric fridge. It's just not big enough. I like it when we go camping in the summer and we boondock but that's only for a few days and manageable. I know they make a 13 cubic foot gas/electric fridge now. Maybe that would be a nice compromise for you but our next 5th wheel will have a residential fridge and when we boondock, we'll live out of coolers. Better to be inconvenienced for a few days than a few months like we are now. Trips to the grocery store are much more frequent doing it this way.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thoughts on this even though we don't have a residential fridge in our FW - I've talked to our RV tech on this because I've thought about one in the future when we do more extended traveling. Residential fridges, he said have a lot of issues when repeatedly on the road. Not sure what he meant, but he doesn't like them. He prefers for operation the side by side RV fridges, but he said when they go out, they cost $5k to replace. For us, we will live with our 12cf RV fridge. It runs well and we're happy with it. Even on extended trips now, we have a lot of room for groceries. The only time we seem to run out of space is when we camp with our family and need the extra food. In this case, we pack along a cooler and put other items in it than can be in a cooler.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a 2 door with sliding drawer freezer and it works great. we don't boondock but we might stay at a Cabelas or such every once in a while and the inverter keeps it cold and frozen. My only complaint is that it is too big for the two of us. Size, of course, is determined by what the builder put in the coach when it was built.
We have had 4 previous RV's with gas but only had problems with one of them. They worked well I guess, but ice cream bars would sometimes melt [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full size KitchenAid, May will be 5 years fulltime use. Zero regrets or issues.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a considerable amount of power contained in a tank of propane and is easily replenished. Electricity needs replenishment often using a variety of schemes. Your choice on how and how much you want to deal with this issue.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good solar system will take care of a residential fridge when you don’t have electric hookups. Once they are up to operating temp they require very minimal energy to operate.

Right now we have a bigger gas electric RV fridge, much more room than our old TT fridge, and I have an outside fridge too. If it ever fails I will replace it with a residential fridge.

C.B.

APPLETON WI USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

Residential refrigerators are the best. I would never go back to a Dometic or a NoCold gas refrigerator. They work better and have less of a chance of catching fire.

X2

C.B.

CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Residential Refrigerator – Good or avoid?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.