Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Mount trailer tires yourself at home?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Mount trailer tires yourself at home?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about savings, my guess, would be about $50 to $100 a year depending on how much you do.
The answer for me is that, even as an old man, busting down a tire and remounting it is not a big deal physically. Now I will say if I go in for a new set of tires I get them mounted and balanced. For the tractor, mower, golf cart or any of the trailers I mount them depending on the situation. The bottom line is mounting your own tires is something I've done for many years so its no big deal

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

This is one of the sillier questions asked recently.

Maybe, but might not be as silly as being worried about someone breaking into your rig thru a 14X14 roof vent and wanting ideas on how to secure it? Or as silly as suggesting installing a fusible link activated fire suppression system behind the refrigerator? I digress [emoticon]

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

That’s a great story if you have literally the entire day to “mount and balance “ a set of tires.
How’s that work on your truck or car?
Your time must be worth a lot less than most to go through all that trouble.

And fwiw, balancing to the hub is an act of diminishing returns or more accurately futility.
Aside from the moment of inertia being considerably less due to the small hub/ brake diameter compared to the much larger diameter tire, it becomes useless once you rotate tires unless you re balance each rotation.

Since you cannot or will not do the suggested, maybe there is no need to comment. There may be some that have an interest in doing things themselves and others that may be lazy or clueless, I didn't post the information for the latter.

* This post was edited 01/16/20 12:26pm by Lynnmor *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Naw, I’ve actually busted 2 different tires in the last year or so, because I was too lazy to take them to the tire shop, lol. Take longer than doing it myself.
But using the trailer hub as a spin balancer And dismount, mount and balance 4 tires is more than I care to spend my day doing. Much less mounting and balancing a set of truck tires without a tire machine and balancer.
Maybe once the kids grow up, I retire and run out of things to do, I’ll start trying to find creative ways to pass the time.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned a manual tire machine for years. I mount my car, trailer, motorcycle, truck, and tractor tires.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

moresmoke

On the beach of lake Agassiz

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Save money, not really. Time, maybe. I change most of my own tires. It is 55 miles one way to a tire shop for me.

As another poster mentioned, the Harbor Freight tire changer works pretty well for steel wheels.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Mount trailer tires yourself at home?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.