Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need help replacing charging circuit solenoid.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Need help replacing charging circuit solenoid.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Nope. When the rocker switch is in the middle position (it is 3-way), then the solenoid does not work at all. Rocker must be in MOM or DUAL to energize solenoid"

OK that explains it all. In DUAL it has to also close the solenoid which is NOT already on the run circuit like mine is.

It also explains why there is no Y in the solenoid's power line like I thought there must have to be.

BTW that DUAL would be handy for me, where mine is always in DUAL when the engine is running. I sometimes want to have no alternator charging on the way home so the AGMs will be low enough to accept a 20% charge rate, which they are supposed to get now and then. I need to install a switch in the line from the solenoid to house batts so I can turn that off before heading home.

* This post was edited 01/22/20 12:07pm by BFL13 *

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So this weekend we had a break in the rain (finally) and I got to look at the solenoid. Before I replaced it, I wanted to see if, when I pushed the switch to the MOM position, if I was getting full voltage across the solenoid.

So I disconnected the engine battery, and then I first measured voltage of the House batteries at the house post on the charging solenoid. It was like 12V. Then I had a helper hold MOM and I measured the voltage on the other side of the solenoid. It was the same.

So, the existing solenoid seems to be functioning fine.

So I went and had a look at the engine starting solenoid. And I discovered that the positive terminal nut was loose. Not flop-around loose, but I could pull on the battery cable lead and easily turn it on its post. So it's quite likely that I had a poor engine battery connection at the positive post of the engine start solenoid.

I pulled all the terminals off the post, wire brushed them, and put it all back together and snugged it down good and tight.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Need help replacing charging circuit solenoid.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.