Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: THOR Motor Coach
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> THOR Motor Coach

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Card35

Seguin, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have experience, good or bad with THOR Class C Motor Homes. Currently looking at many different Brands, and Thor just happens to have a floor plan the wife likes. I have no experience with this manufacturer..

AF Ret & Enjoyin
2005 Cardinal 33TS/LX
2005 GMC 3500CC Dually 8.1/Allison
RDS 51g Fuel/ToolBox Combo

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will get many views on this MFG,but they must be pretty sturdy because they are used a lot in the Rental Market not only El Monte RV uses them but also are the ones that are made for Cruise America are made by THOR.

You also have the option at Thor to get them on a Chevy Chassis

They offer the Four Winds and the Chateau on a Chevy Chassis,they may be what you are looking for. Good Luck in your quest for that RV that will make HER happy [emoticon]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Card35 wrote:

Anyone have experience, good or bad with THOR Class C Motor Homes. Currently looking at many different Brands, and Thor just happens to have a floor plan the wife likes. I have no experience with this manufacturer..

Depending on what floor plan, over all length and other factors you want is the key. As is the chassis, Ford, Chevy, etc is also an important factor. Like any other manufacturer there are good and bad reviews. We looked at Thor before deciding on our Phoenix Cruiser.
A.) we wanted a Ford. B.) A floor plan of our liking. C.) a quality product form a reputable company, D.) the length we thought we could handle for drivability and livability (comfort space).
Phoenix Cruiser had far many more positive reviews and virtually zero negative ones vs Thor and to many discontented owners.
This is my opinion, for what it's worth.
Check them out. They are fully customizable versus buying off the rack type of sale.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have a thor chateau 27 ft 2015 it is cheeply built. sure wish i would known that before i bought it but o well to late know should have known that it was a lower price than others.

DREAMER ">

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The old saying "you get what you pay for " speaks volumes about Thor products. I worked at a dealership that sold them. They were usually 20-25 thousand cheaper than other brands, and the fit and finish quality showed why.

Proud father of a US Marine

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I think you will get many views on this MFG,but they must be pretty sturdy because they are used a lot in the Rental Market not only El Monte RV uses them but also are the ones that are made for Cruise America are made by THOR.

Rental fleets buy on price, not quality. They buy from whichever RV company is willing to give them the best deal. They don't care about sturdiness or longevity since they don't keep them for long.

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Rental fleets buy on price, not quality. They buy from whichever RV company is willing to give them the best deal. They don't care about sturdiness or longevity since they don't keep them for long.

Exactly...

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I repaired drawers and a water issue in a 2007 thor class MH. It was of the cheapest quality in both area and when knocking on the entry it felt like i could dent because of the tiney sound.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a new beginers RV in September of 2015. A Thor Freedom Elite 22e. No slides Ford E-350 chassis. In 4 years we have completed 4 cross country trips totaling 42,000 miles. We have set up camp in 185 different campgrounds and have had the pleasure of camping a total of 271 nights. So far I have had to repair 1 drawer lock, 1 outside refrigerator access panel lock pin, 1 house battery and 1 entry door latch. I am meticulous with my maintenance procedures, which probably has prevented many failures. We would have liked to been able to afford spending another $20,000 for a "better" quality RV. But so far this one has served us well. We are planning another 10-12 thousand mile 10 week trip this summer. Oh I forgot to add that I had to replace all 6 tires because we wore them out...

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e
Just right for the two of us!

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Price does equal quality....however....gotta factor into that equation time used versus money spent. If you're only using it 1-2 months a year total, buying a customized rig with high quality/high price may not be a wise investment. I bought my Thor 15 years ago and use it maybe 1-2 months yearly and it's served me quite well for it's intended purpose. If I was a full-timer or using it half a year, the quality would push me into a different brand. Use it quite hard and has held up surprisingly well for the "C-grade" fit/finish. I spent $35k back then for slightly used and would have spent double that amount for the nicer units out there....just wasn't willing to spend another $35k for the weekend camper experience.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> THOR Motor Coach
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.