Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Cellular Hotspot
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cellular Hotspot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this ingenious idea of getting an external antenna for increased service coverage.

1st up, netgear factory piece ordered from amazon. It came in a package, with an interesting tag, "demo unit". It did absolutely nothing, nada... back to amazon it went.

2nd, two whip antennas. Not only did it not improve signal strength, speed test showed a 20% drop in data transfer speed.

Talked to the smartest electrical engineer I know, he said even with the short (12") coax, the signal loss on that cable may overcome any advantage I might get out of the antenna.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Phil,

What you are seeing is that Mimo has multiple antennas. When you add a booster or single antenna range may increase but throughput may be slower.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Phil,

What you are seeing is that Mimo has multiple antennas. When you add a booster or single antenna range may increase but throughput may be slower.

First one, which is probably a bad example, had two connectors

2nd was 2 separate antennas. Throughput on one antenna was slightly under no antenna. Two antennas dropped throughput 20%.

pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

2nd, two whip antennas. Not only did it not improve signal strength, speed test showed a 20% drop in data transfer speed.

Talked to the smartest electrical engineer I know, he said even with the short (12") coax, the signal loss on that cable may overcome any advantage I might get out of the antenna.

This.
I'm not a EE and I'm not an antenna engineer.

But there's a Youtube nerd I watch regularly that will occasionally test antennas with his gear and a spectrum analyzer.

It's painfully clear that most attempts to mod ("improve") the antennas on an off-the-shelf piece of gear will likely make things worse.

I've had two good successes in increasing range. First was to take just the outside antenna that shipped with the Alfa Camp Pro and plug it directly into my laptop. That's a nice outdoor antenna with good dB gain.

The second was to take a decent Asus router (RT-AC3100) and use it as a range extender. It's pretty good.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cellular Hotspot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.