Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: asking for suggestions/opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> asking for suggestions/opinions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
SUMRX4

VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to beat a dead horse and I know none of you can make this decision for me but I would just like to hear opinions and suggestions to help me. Wife and I are considering upgrading our current TT. I "think" I would like to have a 5th wheel because of all I hear about ease of towing and maneuverability. But they are more expensive. We currently only camp within a couple hours or less from home so it's not like I am towing for extended periods of time. Also we typically only take weekend trips so the added storage in a typical 5vr isn't needed. Basically my only reason for considering a 5th wheel is because I want one. So for those that have maybe had both I would just like to hear if the pros out weigh the cons enough for me to spend the extra $$ on a 5vr. Also its only two of us. Hopefully some grandkids down the road but I hope that is at least 5+ away. No matter what I buy I am not looking for anything huge. Something in the 10,000lbs range or less.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All depends on how much excess money you have, and how you want to spend it. I would get rid of the truck and by a Class A, but that is just my thing. But I have no use for a truck, some folks do.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you've already said it .. "because I want one". Doubt any other pro/cons will help. However, my folks bought a large 5vr years ago, new, for one of the reasons you list...grandkids. I know you said 5+ years away. Point is, my folks never camped more than a few hours from home and often had some or all grandkids with them. Always had room. So to me that was the reasoning behind their purchase.

If you want to go "easy" as you say, for ease of towing/hookups, might I suggest a Class C. You can find them all day long, new and used, and they have zero hookups unless you want to tow a car behind. If you did not want to tow behind, have the wife drive behind you for the cost savings, if you needed a dinghy. With a C, you can drive it to your campsite, back in, and done (minus electric hookup).

My 2 cents.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“because I want one”

Do it!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from what you say,,, keep your tt and enjoy life.send me the money your going to throw away on a fiver.

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

costs? you can buy a 3 or 4 year old 5th wheel that will do you just fine. the added costs will be what you need to pull the trailer.

good luck. I'd also say just keep your trailer and save for one a few years down the road.

as for kids/grandkids....must kids aren't interested in what you want them to be interested in....don't buy something for them, only you.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about going back to square one and think about whether or not you really need an RV. If you always go back to the same campground what about renting one of their cabins and put the sale money for the TT into Starbucks stock?

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every RV from a pop-up to a 40 ft. MH has pluses and minuses. We've had pop-ups, a 17 ft. hybrid trailer, 25 ft. 5th wheel(towed by a half-ton Chevy which was our only vehicle) and now a 30 ft. Class C MH. Personally if starting now I would go right to a used small MH and tow a car but that's very personal. I don't think the ease of towing and manuverability of a 5er would be worth the change. In fact a 5er is not easier to back but you can turn sharper. but then you have to have a truck(very expensive). I can understand "just wanting one". If you go used, the price difference is irrelevant.

Jayco-noslide

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's your money spend it the way you see fit. Personally to me floor plan is more important then 5er or TT.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big pluses for a 5er are stability towing and ease of hitching. I'd rather back up a TT than a 5er. Just easier IMO, a TT is quicker to respond. Small 5ers don't have any more storage than a small TT. I'd stick with the TT, if that's what you're used to, for your short trips and you can have all of the truck for storage.
As for me... I grew up with semi trucks and my first rv was a small TT. I only got 2 blocks from the dealer and I thought... Why the [email protected]!! did I buy this bumper jerking sob!!? I didn't keep it long. Craig

2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> asking for suggestions/opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.