Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: asking for suggestions/opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> asking for suggestions/opinions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I skipped from a pop-up straight to a small 5th wheel for the same reasons.
No regrets in 15 years.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will current truck handle pin wieght and them grand kids when they come along. A 10k 5w will have 2000-2500 lbs of hitch wieght vs s ball mount in the 1000-1500 lb range. You could find yourself having to buy a stronger chassis, higher payload truck too!
As someone else mentioned, plus's and minuses to both.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always felt that even if you have the money is it worth the expense to do something like this? Friends have a 5er and are always saying I need to upgrade to one from my 37ft. TT. We have a 5er floor plan in our TT and we like it. I tow it just fine with my 2500HD. I back it up just fine into a site. There is nothing that can make me justify changing horses. It just does not make sense. Think real hard about making the change and if its worth it to you.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may take just a short time to relearn the backing process, and maybe need to watch closer for tree limbs, as normally FWs are a little taller. You don't say what truck you have, but who doesn't want a new truck??? I'd just get what you want and enjoy it!!

Jerry

SUMRX4

VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replys and advise. My current TV is a 2003 F250 diesel. No that doesn't have tha towing capacity of today's diesels but it would still pull what I am looking for. In all honesty I will probably stay with the TT, if I even upgrade at all. You can find almost the same floor plans in TT now that 5ers have anyway.
BUt keep the opinions coming as I am reading all of them.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will actually answer your question: Yes we had two TT, a 24 Ft and then a 30 Ft before we upgraded to a 5er. Pulled both TTs with a 1500 Chevy long bed, it did the job but after a long days travel I was beat.
Up graded to a 3500 Dually (got a better deal than ordering a 2500) in prep for a 5er. Now it handled the TT with ease and now where as beat at the end of a days travel. Then came the 5er, BIG difference in towing and handling, but a learning curve in backing.
But now would never go back to a TT after towing close to 100K miles with a 5er.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want one and can afford it,go for it. I prefer a TT because it doesn't take up room in the pick up bed. But 5th wheels have some advantages. They generally tow better, they are some what easier to back into a site and you can go to a slightly longer unit and fit in the same space because part of the unit goes over the truck bed instead of behind the truck.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never owned a fifth wheel but two my buds I camp with do. They like them enough to stay with them.

I personally like the way the master suite is up higher off by itself. I think they are cool that way not just a flat. I would watch for quite a nice layout though, spend time looking for quality, not so big, but most of all not one of the very tall units I see running down the road.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RGar974417 wrote:

If you want one and can afford it,go for it. I prefer a TT because it doesn't take up room in the pick up bed. But 5th wheels have some advantages. They generally tow better, they are some what easier to back into a site and you can go to a slightly longer unit and fit in the same space because part of the unit goes over the truck bed instead of behind the truck.

A "Goose Neck" style of 5th wheel doesn't use up space in the bed of the truck. On the new ones the Ball flips upside down when you are not using it so the truck bed floor remains flat.

Now, some people say the goose neck style is a rougher ride. Last summer at the park I met a man that had the plate style of 5th wheel but,,, his plate just dropped into the same hole in his truck bed that the ball of the goose neck would have gone into.

It does take a couple of strong people to lift and remove the plate from the truck using this type of thing though.

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

RGar974417 wrote:

A "Goose Neck" style of 5th wheel doesn't use up space in the bed of the truck. On the new ones the Ball flips upside down when you are not using it so the truck bed floor remains flat.

Now, some people say the goose neck style is a rougher ride. Last summer at the park I met a man that had the plate style of 5th wheel but,,, his plate just dropped into the same hole in his truck bed that the ball of the goose neck would have gone into.

It does take a couple of strong people to lift and remove the plate from the truck using this type of thing though.
So are you saying you can put bicycles, a generator etc in the bed with a 5th wheel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> asking for suggestions/opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.