Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Smart Light Bulbs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Smart Light Bulbs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Ohh one second last point - I programmed the Honeywell to turn on/off with a offset from sunrise and sunset. So dumb LEDs and smart switch and I'm a happy camper - er homeowner.

thought about smart switches but most of the lamps i have on timers aren't powered by a wall switch.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

My neighbor has those. Yes, if the power gets interupted they go nuts and need reprogramming.
In his case he was on vacation in Hi when someone turned the light switch of and back on. The lights flashed for 2 days till he got home.

hmmm. thanks.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

My neighbor has those. Yes, if the power gets interupted they go nuts and need reprogramming.
In his case he was on vacation in Hi when someone turned the light switch of and back on. The lights flashed for 2 days till he got home.
The Honeywell. Turn the light off and it remains off until the next program cycle to turn it on and vice versa.

Suggest he update his timer.

No, not sure what happens after 4 hours of no power, perhaps it resets to the mfg defaults?

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Smart Lamps" is a category, not a single product. Almost all the answers will depend on the exact product you pick.

So choose wisely!

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smart Plugs:
[image]
Kasa Smart WiFi Plug w/Energy Monitoring by TP-Link - Reliable WiFi Connection, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa Echo & Google Assistant (HS110)
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS110-Mon........toring-Required-Assistant/dp/B0178IC5ZY/
Put the KASA app on your phone, add the Smart Plugs and set up a schedule. Done. Turns your lights and appliances off and on plus keeps track of how much electric is used.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Smart Plugs:
[image]
Kasa Smart WiFi Plug w/Energy Monitoring by TP-Link - Reliable WiFi Connection, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa Echo & Google Assistant (HS110)
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS110-Mon........toring-Required-Assistant/dp/B0178IC5ZY/
Put the KASA app on your phone, add the Smart Plugs and set up a schedule. Done. Turns your lights and appliances off and on plus keeps track of how much electric is used.

thanks.

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are the old bulky ones where it blocks the second outlet. Get these which leave the other outlet open - same company and same specs
Link

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you go with specific timers, outlets, or bulbs that work on their own (without a hub) think about what you might want to do in the future.

We have Smartthings - a hub that hooks up to our home network and an app on the phone. We can control lots of smart things with it - even when we're not at home.

The bulbs we have the most of are Sengled Smart LED Soft White A19 bulbs. They can also be programmed for brightness - for instance we have a hall light that we leave on all the time - doesn't need to be super bright so it is at 60% during the day and 10% at night.

We got the Smart stuff for when we're gone on trips so it looks like we're home, but it is so easy (and fun) that we just leave them programmed all the time.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

i'm considering dumping my old style light timers replacing them with wifi smart bulbs. lots of questions i hope others can answer.

- most of the smart bulbs will be in fixtures that are on timers year round but some of the smart bulbs will be in other fixtures that are occasionally used on an as-needed basis. will the smart bulb also function as a "regular" bulb? will it lose its programming if turned off at the wall switch or fixture? if it holds its programming how long will the bulb's programming be retained when the bulb or fixture is off?
The smart bulb will retain any programming, HOWEVER, when you shut the power off to the bulb and turn it back on, the bulb will come on at full brightness, until the next program event kicks in. You can use a wall switch as needed, but when you power the switch back on, the bulb will be at full brightness till the next programmed event.

- we have a planned momentary power outage each week when our stand-by generator tests itself under load. will these momentary outages (~5-seconds) disrupt, alter or cancel the bulb's programming? does the programming reside in the bulb or on the PC? the PC at home is on a UPS so there is zero interruption to it.
Again, when the power comes back on, ALL bulbs will turn on with full brightness until their next scheduled programmed event.

- i don't care for or need smart bulbs that can change hue or color. prefer soft white especially in the lamps that will see occasional use. LEDs are notoriously harsh. can anyone recommend a brand that's not so harsh?
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at the display bulbs they have. You can play with them and see exactly what type of light they offer.

- do smart bulbs come in 3-way wattages such as 60/100/150 (equivalent)? can i get single wattage bulbs in the equivalent of 25 or 40-watts?
No typical 3-way bulbs are available in led, but they are almost all infinitely dimmable. Yes, you can get led's in various wattage equivalents.

- the upfront expense is ok but i sure don't want to be replacing them often. for those that have them what has been your experience in terms of longevity? not looking to go cheap nor am i wanting to take out a mortgage. looking for good value.
Odds are that ALL the bulbs will live longer than you.

- do the bulbs come with an app for my iphone/ipad? do i program them with those devices or with my PC?
Focus on bulbs that are compatible with HomeKit for use with iPHone's/iPads. There are a number of them. Check out CNET.COM for reviews.

- any other opinions, cautions or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

thanks.

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an additional note....... Philips Hue are by far the best bulbs out there with the most flexibility, but they are also the most expensive! If you're looking at a lot of bulbs, sticker shock will quickly set in!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Smart Light Bulbs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.