Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: lino cracked after cold spell
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> lino cracked after cold spell

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine cracked some years ago at the entrance door. I'm contemplating using the new plastic plank flooring. There is a thick version and a thin one.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there are no little pieces missing IMO just glue it down and the cracks won't show much if at all. There used to be some stuff you could use with the fancier version of lino (forget name) where you ran some of that down your repair cracks and it sort of melted them together and hard to see.

If there are pieces missing you can steal some from under the cabinets if you find the right pattern alignments. I am no good at doing that repair job where you put the new over the old and cut both so the new fits just right, but YMMV

Our Komfort 5er (sold it a couple years ago) had trouble with new flooring where the slide went over it. Got scratches because the new flooring was too high. It would take carpet ok, no scratches, but not other flooring that has any height to it.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Time for a new unit.... It's had it at 10 years anyway.

Trailer is in good shape, no way I'm getting rid of it.

GDS-3950BH wrote:

The materials used since @ 2010 or so by most manufacturers are supposedly "cold crack" resistant if you believe such things. This is one BRAND used by a lot of manufacturers.

That link didn't work for me.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line
480 watts of solar

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also had it happen in our last 5er on main level. First time it was covered under warranty...then the bathroom cracked weeks before I sold it so I discounted it to the buyer. Sadly there was a period where the flooring was of poor quality and susceptible to thermal shock and tearing. Fully gluing it down would help but of course costs mfg more. Hopefully you find a suitable replacement and take care of the repair. Imagine how many new units sat on the lot and had their floors do this?

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya, it was a shock for sure. We moved from the Vancouver area to the cariboo in BC, this winter has been the coldest since we moved here 2 years ago but the local RV place confirmed they see this happen up here when it gets really cold. Hasn't been that cold for 7-8 years I was told.

They recommended "end of the roll" for the repair if we just decide to go with new lino.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherguy wrote:

Ya, it was a shock for sure. We moved from the Vancouver area to the cariboo in BC, this winter has been the coldest since we moved here 2 years ago but the local RV place confirmed they see this happen up here when it gets really cold. Hasn't been that cold for 7-8 years I was told.

They recommended "end of the roll" for the repair if we just decide to go with new lino.

When we looked at all that, it turned out that OEM lino as in your photo, is equivalent to $1.00/sq ft tile, the lowest there is. You can get way better lino or individual 1 sq ft tiles instead, and use the 1/4 round idea mentioned above. Works great.

I like the individual tiles, since you can cut them to fit around whatever, and if you screw up it is only one tile. With a great big sheet of lino, you cut it and if you get it wrong the whole thing is ruined. Naturally it is hard to get it right when using the whole sheet.

I find the individual sticky tiles don't stick well so use spray glue also. Afterwards wipe the tops of the tiles with mineral spirits where any glue got sprayed on.

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't try to replace the lino myself, the people that do it for a living could do a nice job pretty quickly.
If I was going to do it myself I'd go with Allure flooring or some other vinyl product.

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to replace sheet vinyl yourself and worried about screwing up all the cuts in a small area just get some of this paper or similar and make a template. No need for a professional. Maybe cut a little big and trim.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Build........-Paper-3-ft-x-140-ft-Drop-Cloth/50265367
I have done that before in small baths. Probably could find some nice vinyl remnants ( roll ends )pretty cheap. Just check, some of the better vinyls are not supposed to be glued all over, depends on the backing.

I am sold on the new vinyl planking but not sure how it would do in really cold climates. Luckily we don't have hat issue.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This post comes up every Spring. A little early this year. The vinyl is not glued down. It is rolled out onto the floor before the walls, cabinets go in. It cracks because of expansion contractraction due to the cold. Very easy to repair. Cut the old sheet out around the edge, use it as a template for the new sheet. Lay it in loose, hold it around the edges with 1/4 round. No glue, no self sticking tiles, they won't work very long.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You say this happens every spring does it? Well then please ignore my ignorance, I did a search on it and found nothing!

Also, you assume I have some of the matching 12 year old lino laying around which I can assure you is not the case.

Thanks for you 2 cents though...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> lino cracked after cold spell
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.