Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 4 season camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 4 season camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Freeway Flyer 05

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Helping my daughter look for a trailer. Looking for a true 4 season unit. We went to the RV show last weekend in Tacoma, and she is impressed with the Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV. Intended use will be the Washington Coast in the winter, and also at the local ski areas, in addition to the usual better weather camping. She can buy new, but I have suggested she look for a used unit. The 2020 Arctic Fox 25W is her current favorite. Whatever she ends up with, she would like to keep the overall under 30 ft. Can you folks suggest any other brands or lines to check out?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The brands you looked at are likely best choices for her intended use, but I've no experience with them. My FW is a 4 season, but in reality, I'd not want to use it much below 20 degrees, for an extended time. Mine is well insulated, with good plumbing protection. IMO, no matter the model, keeping warm is not as big an issue, as moisture control. An experienced Winter camper, willing to go to the trouble, can likely do this. I think it may work for her along the coast, but trying to tow it to, use it at the higher elevation, colder temp ski areas may not be best choice for her.

Jerry

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO there is no such thing as a 4-season camper, ie. one that can be used in the dead of winter. It's not a house.
One option might be to buy a 3-season camper and rent a cabin for the really cold times and locations.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

IMHO there is no such thing as a 4-season camper, ie. one that can be used in the dead of winter. It's not a house.
One option might be to buy a 3-season camper and rent a cabin for the really cold times and locations.

Dick, the weather is different here in the winter than in IL. Way warmer in the areas that the OP is talking about.
All the coastal areas are rarely below freezing in the winter. Weather hovers in the 40s most of the time. And the Cascades at the ski areas are only just enough colder typically to turn the rain into snow.
In all my winter mountain outings in the Cascades in the last 8 years, we ski and snowmobile, I can think of 2 "cold" days, like zero or single digits in the morning and far more days where the snow turned to rain or vice versa during the day. RVing at the ski hills or snowparks is fairly common and popular out here due to the generally mild temperatures.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago also now makes a line of trailers with 4 season capabilities. I’ve liked what I’ve seen in that line as well and would suggest she look at those too.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Escape trailers Chilliwack BC - 4 NW season capable. (going to rain, light rain, wet rain, wet snow).
Talked to an owner last week. They had used theirs which was spec’d for cold weather at -10F no freezes.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If price is not a concern, and since you're in the northwest, you may want to check out Bigfoot. I think they are a step above the others mentioned. I finally got to look at one first hand last week. VERY well built and stout. And very ready for extreme weather.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely check out Arctic Fox by Northwood Mfg., in La Grande, Or. They have been making 4 season RV's for years.

04 F250,CC, 4x4, Dsl., LgBd, XLT, SuperDuty, Cmpr Pkg, Off Rd Pkg

07 Arctic Fox 29 5T
Toad Riv B.C.
17 Chev/CLS C F.R. Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

The brands you looked at are likely best choices for her intended use...Jerry

I've never owned a 4 season RV, but my lengthy research into them tells me Jerry is right. fwiw, of course.
Let us know what she gets and what she thinks of it after a winter of use!

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how cold the ski areas your daughter will be going but we brought our Coleman Lite to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe for winter camping and we even have to turn off the heater after it "killed" the draft inside the RV and just continue to snuggle under the comforter through the night.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 4 season camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.