Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sasha surgery today (final update)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Sasha surgery today (final update)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear she came through fine.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Sasha came through the surgery just fine. NOW the most difficult part not letting Sawyer and Sasha roughhouse for two weeks. These two are use to playing hard from morning until evening.

EEEEKS! I will say a prayer for your sanity - it seems like all I do all day is break up wrestling matches between my two (Augie the 6-month old is a full-sized Aussie now; but Ben, age 6 and a whopping 19 lbs can put up a real fight....LOL!)

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m glad Sasha is doing well and she should be on the mend quickly. I feel for you trying to keep a pup calm during recovery. Our 6mo border collie pup, Hattie, just had surgery for OCD in the shoulder. They removed a flap of cartilage the size of a pinky fingernail. She is now on 3mo of restricted activity and rehab. We have been using the sedatives provided by the Vet to ease her “restless puppy syndrome”. It will be a looooong 3months.

We are fortunate to have a good sports medicine Vet clinic in our area with surgeons who can perform this surgery arthroscopically.

Mark

* This post was last edited 01/24/20 08:24am by BCSnob *   View edit history

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (semi-retired), Grant, Lee, & Fern (in training), Hattie the puppy
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog & Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see I'm not the only one with hyperactive puppy syndrome. This morning I figured the problem would be keeping 1 year old Sawyer from trying to get Sasha to play. When Sawyer did not instigate play Sasha did. I blocked the dog door and let them out one at a time to prevent this. If I did not I would have to stand outside with them preventing any fun.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two weeks for a spay is SUPER conservative, the most critical period is the first 4-5 days. After that mild exercise is usually OK (no body slams though). I feel your pain [emoticon]

Mark, I've never had an OCD patient that opted for surgery. Keep us updated on progress, and I know it's going to be a long 3 months. Maybe do mind games that require no physical exercise but will fatigue her?

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sasha . . . . . just take it EASY for awhile!

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 6 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

Two weeks for a spay is SUPER conservative, the most critical period is the first 4-5 days. After that mild exercise is usually OK (no body slams though). I feel your pain [emoticon]

Mark, I've never had an OCD patient that opted for surgery. Keep us updated on progress, and I know it's going to be a long 3 months. Maybe do mind games that require no physical exercise but will fatigue her?
The instructions they sent home they only called for 5 to 7 days. The DMV is the one that said 2 weeks for the (body slams). Sasha has a habit when being chased at full speed of diving onto her side. Tug of war with a rope is popular as well. They enjoy keep away with a tree branch or dog toy until I spoil their fun and take the branch away (worry about them swinging the branch around and hitting the other in the eye). The one thing they both enjoy that doesn't require a lot of physical activity is turning a cardboard box into confetti.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOTLDaddy wrote:

Sasha . . . . . just take it EASY for awhile!
I don’t think easy is in Sasha's vocabulary. I'm use to having older Collies that are very mellow. I've only had to put the kibosh on her play about a dozen times today.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

I’m glad Sasha is doing well and she should be on the mend quickly. I feel for you trying to keep a pup calm during recovery. Our 6mo border collie pup, Hattie, just had surgery for OCD in the shoulder. They removed a flap of cartilage the size of a pinky fingernail. She is now on 3mo of restricted activity and rehab. We have been using the sedatives provided by the Vet to ease her “restless puppy syndrome”. It will be a looooong 3months.

We are fortunate to have a good sports medicine Vet clinic in our area with surgeons who can perform this surgery arthroscopically.

Mark
3 months would be extremely difficult with my Collie I could not imagine 3 months with a even higher engery Border Collie pup.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

We have been using the sedatives provided by the Vet to ease her “restless puppy syndrome”. It will be a looooong 3months.

Oooh - yeah, drugs are your friend ;-) 3 months would seem like an eternity for my dogs, and you know what they say about Aussies: "Like a Border Collie - only with an OFF switch"....LOL!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Sasha surgery today (final update)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.